Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #21
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

they can be annoying but i think the great little things and look interesting and cute
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to lilacgeorge

Christian, PUPPYS are CUTE, KITTENS are CUTE, BUNNIE RABBITS are CUTE, TORTOISE'S are CUTE, Blimey Christian, even you could be cute BUT SLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND??????????????????????????????? There is nowt cute - or even remotely interesting(???????) about a slug!!!!

2.1.2 ~ THB

Frank ~ Tallulah ~ Grace ~ Archie ~ Teefa ~ Mollie

0.0.1 Bearded Dragon ~ Freckles

lilacgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #23
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

Nematodes infest reptiles - growing to enormous sizes, blocking the intestines and lungs.. So I'm really hoping that this miracle gunk people are putting in their gardens isn't a solution full of nematodes

Build a slug trap, encourage thrushes into your garden with ground feeders or go out with a torch and chuck 'em into your neighbours garden.. No danger to torts then!

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #24
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

Ajay, have you anything to back this up? (sorry this is what nursing courses do to you!! ) thats quite a statement to make if you haven't (though I'm sure you wouldn't have said it unless you did )

I'm not in any way having a go or anything ( ) just I need to know if what you are saying is true before disgarding or using the Nemaslug which does indeed contain '12million naturally occuring beneficial nematodes (Phasmarhabditis hermaphrodita)' apparently!

I have emailed the company with these 'concerns' and will let everyone know the outcome......

If anyone wants to have a look at the Nemaslug product here is the website; www.nemasysinfo.com

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #25
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

No worries hun, just didn't want to put references in after all the grief last time

I've just been writing about them today, thus the comment. Added a particularly nasty picture of worm infestations, said to be nematodes.. let me find it..

(whole page from book, sorry its the wrong way up.. bit pushed for time!)

Sorry if it upsets anyone but that's why I said I hope no one's using it

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #26
lilacgeorge
Sub Adult

LOL no probs. I shall wait and see if they email me back. I'm so fustrated as I tried everything to eradicate the slugs last year to no avail - I was really hoping that this would solve the problem... hey ho! I shall hold of using it until I hear from them...

2.1.2 ~ THB

Old 08-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #27
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

i say the beer idea wins then.

slugs are great to watch and look awesome little things....beauti is not just on the outside.

p.s. i am cute,,,,,there is no maybe about it
p.s.s. i am big headed lol
wildlifewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #28
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Beer is good at attracting slugs from a wider area including other people's gardens so I gave up on that method. If a cubic metre of soil is dug out there will typically be hundreds of slugs in it, I have actually done this and it's enough to make me scream with frustration.

Gardening to encurage thrushes is great and if we work at that really hard then we might get like 5 slugs per day eaten, assuming that thrushes are in the area already.

For my tort enclosure and some other places in my garden I have dug out large amounts of soil and laid a thick layer of broken bricks for drainage, then mixed the soil with huge amounts of grit before putting it back on top. This does improve the drainage and as slugs prefer damp its a step in the right direction but it is very hard work.

I'd thought that nematodes were harmless to tortoises, after all they are there in the soil aready so Dawn is just increasing the concentration. I don't recall anyone saying that we have to guard against nematodes routinely. Could easily be wrong though............
Old 08-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
tortoiseboy
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildlifewarrior
monster lol....i never used this product....it was in a magazine,, i use only natural things such as helping frogs breed from the ponds to eat them, same goes for greenfly and such as i add ladybirds to lessen them.

your surpose to use weak cheap beer, these animals live off stuff that has similar ingeiants that are in beer and thats whyt here attracted to it. i have been doing this for 5 years since owning an allotment and never found any dead.....they should not be floating in beer, if they float at all then you have used far too much beer.
I meant using beer :P
tortoiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
Madhouse
Sub Adult

Sorry but I rather like slugs I know Im in the minority

I rekcon everything and everyone is here for a reason - either to eat or be eaten and if we never had any slugs then someone/something somewhere would go hungry!!! We've got a very friendly thrush in our garden tho and he's normally smiling a lot so I guess he's happy while slurping on the slugs

Also i couldn't kill them cos I'd be too uspet and feel sorry for them We use beer and chuck them over the hedge - happy, pi**ed and they get a new house too!!! What more could a slug want on an evening out a!!!
Steph - Wife to an ever patient hubby, Mum to four children, 2 dogs, cat, 3 newts, numerous fish, an eel, 3 dwarf hamsters, my 2 baby torts Mickey & Theo (Med. spur thighs) and Mr Grumpyboots Harries (Adult male Horsfield)
Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote