Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
yuna1971
Adult

The op will choose what path he decides to go down on all these subjects. We all say there is no right nor wrong way. Who can really say that 'my way is the 100%' right way. I don't think anybody can.
It boils down to what the OP (or any owner) wants to do, he reads the info and the debate here and rejects or accepts what views are put. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #32
Merlin M
Adult

Yeah with you on that Rach, its all about what works for you and your tortoises!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #33
Pussygalore
Adult

providing you follow at least some basic rules, no one who knew anything would want to risk taking on a tort that had been in with god knows what if they already had a tort of their own. Vet bills aren't cheap and health problems can take a few weeks even months to show and by that time your own animals may well have caught the same complaint. If would be ok if you were only having the one but even then you may still end up with hefty bills if it had picked up something from the others. Unless the new first time owner has done any research and many haven't its up to the breeder/seller/rehomer to make sure they have a healthy tort and that it hasn't been mixed with those it shouldn't be.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #34
example999
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
sorry one more thing anyone who does any sort of rehoming rescue help/work must rehome as soon as possible otherwise you will soon run out of space and then not be able to take in anymore. To me the whole idea is to find a good home as soon as you know the animal is healthy enough to go to one, to many sanctuarys don't rehome and soon fill up, besides the longer you keep an animal the more attatched you get and the harder it is to part with them. Also sadly you can never say a home is 'forever' as no one can predict the future and many of us are only a few steps away from being penniless/jobless or even having to sell/move homes.
I completely agree the best place for them is in a home of which is where they can be given individual attention. Sanctuaries are good but rescues can help many more animals and thats why how I think I can help. Although there seems to be a large amount of torts which need a new home I am unsure on how to offer my services or where to find the torts which need rescuing?
example999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
kazzabb
Hatched

I suppose you'd have to define 'torts which need rescuing'.

Will you be buying the torts who need 'rescuing', then keeping them until you can find them new homes. And, if you find new homes, will you be selling the torts on? Or do you think you might rescue the torts from rescue centres and then find them their new ('forever') homes?

Of the torts already in some rescue centres, even though you take the torts on/adopt them, they actually remain the property of the original rescue centres and you are not allowed to rehome them. There are tort charities like the Tortoise Protection Group or the Tortoise Trust, who have torts who need rehoming. But, quite rightly, they want to see your set-ups first and won't let you take them on, if you intend to rehome them yourself. You can register with the rspca reptile section, but there is a waiting list. Of the torts I've seen who need 'rescuing' as such, they are usually for sale on preloved or gumtree, and in a bit of a state and needing a vet visit etc.
Good luck with it all, though not sure you've done all the homework yet
Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
example999
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzabb View Post
I suppose you'd have to define 'torts which need rescuing'.

Will you be buying the torts who need 'rescuing', then keeping them until you can find them new homes. And, if you find new homes, will you be selling the torts on? Or do you think you might rescue the torts from rescue centres and then find them their new ('forever') homes?

Of the torts already in some rescue centres, even though you take the torts on/adopt them, they actually remain the property of the original rescue centres and you are not allowed to rehome them. There are tort charities like the Tortoise Protection Group or the Tortoise Trust, who have torts who need rehoming. But, quite rightly, they want to see your set-ups first and won't let you take them on, if you intend to rehome them yourself. You can register with the rspca reptile section, but there is a waiting list. Of the torts I've seen who need 'rescuing' as such, they are usually for sale on preloved or gumtree, and in a bit of a state and needing a vet visit etc.
Good luck with it all, though not sure you've done all the homework yet
Hi,
Thank you for your input. I have done my homework could you pleas enlighten me on where i need to do some more homework? Surely buying torts would not be practical.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #37
example999
Egg

I personally feel really bad for the torts on sites like gumtree which are really not in good condition. Do you think buying them is sensible? Obviously I will then have to charge an adoption fee to cover the costs.

Thanks,
Old 10-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
kazzabb
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by example999 View Post
Hi,
Thank you for your input. I have done my homework could you pleas enlighten me on where i need to do some more homework? Surely buying torts would not be practical.

You said it yourself:
"Although there seems to be a large amount of torts which need a new home I am unsure on how to offer my services or where to find the torts which need rescuing?"
I feel really bad for the torts available on Gumtree too, I've bought many of them, badly pyramided and full of worms and long beaks and nails, and kept on tort tables for years. I've adopted some from tortoise sanctuaries too, but I don't intend to onward-home mine. If you buy torts for sale which need 'rescuing' and then charge an adoption fee, for rehoming them onward, I can't see where the benefit to either you or the tort is, other than the stress to the tort on being carted from home to home and the stress on you with the paperwork and potential interim vets fees. Nor can I see from where you're going to get the torts which need rescuing? certain torts can only be sold with the correct paperwork and microchipped, regardless of where you got them from. Or if you have been gifted the torts without paperwork, you'll need to gift them onto someone else, as without their correct paperwork money can't change hands. You don't mention what species you intend to rescue, some species for example need very humid environments and some protein in their diets, some need drier environments and hardly any protein at all. That's why I said that some more homework needed to be done. It's a kind and generous thing you are doing, and it's great that you have the time, space and money to do it.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
example999
Egg

I have mentioned the species Horsefield and Herman both absolutely lovely. I mean there are Rescue Centres out there so there must be unwanted torts who people are willing to make sure find a perfect home instead of selling on. So confused at the moment!!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #40
Pussygalore
Adult

I think the rescue centers you are talking about don't go out looking for unwanted torts but are asked by owners that can no longer keep their animal to either take it on or find it a new home. The society that is doing the rehoming will also usually retain ownership so the animal has a home to come back to and isn't sold by the adoptee. The ones you see for sale who are in a bit of a state will hopefully be bought be some well meaning person who feels sorry for it, has the means and knowlege to help it and either keep it or maybe find another home for it but you always have to bear in mind that anything which needs a cert and chipping can't be sold on and that means any money changing hands whatever its called. Its also not an easy thing to get certs etc for animals that don't already have them but should.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
housing, husbandry, rehoming, tortoises