Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Ask The Experts > Identification/Sexing.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Default My name is Bill...

Bill's owner cannot care for him anymore, and I feel honoured that she has entrusted me with his care. He arrived into my care this afternoon, with Ben.

Bill is 66 years old. He has a damaged shell which was caused by the hay/straw he was in catching alight some years ago He also has a couple of claws missing.
He arrived with a note saying that he has iodine (which has been sent) for his shell - but if anyone has any better ideas, please say xx

He's enjoyed a bath, and has loved chomping on the weeds and flowers I have in the garden so far. He will be in a very large pen during the day, (free roaming when I can supervise, as he responds to his name when called) and bedded down in a secure shed for night time.

He also arrived with Ben. I know, through (limited!) experience, that Ben is a Hermanns and is @10 years old. I already have Sid, a male hermanns (who is awol in the garden) who looks @5 years older. The lady took Ben in 18 months ago, and he is still, in appearance, a baby. Bill and Ben have been living together, but I have seperated them as they were both fighting here. One serious chomp from Bill would have Ben very damaged!
There has been manic 'head bobbing' by little Ben, and very intentional biting from both of them to faces/legs.

Ben will be in a seperate pen, and indoors on a table for night time.

Apparently, they both hybernated in a box in the conservatory last Winter - and just taken out when they banged about in the box ... I will return for hybernation advice!!

Please can you confirm sex/breed of Bill xx

(ruler is 12" in length)

.. and his damaged/flaky shell

... any tips for them to have helathy, shiny shells? Sid and Nancy's shells gleam and look so healthy - these two look so dull..
Sid&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Mrs Frog
Adult

Gorgeous and so pleased for you and I hope that with these two plodding about that they will wake up Sid and you will get him back xx
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Oh what a lovely tort Bill is. I'm sure that you'll do an excellent job in looking after them, getting Bill back to better health and fingers crossed Sid will soon come for a look at his new companions.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Thank you xx

Bill's done a (x3) tour around the garden now, munching as he's wandered, but comes out when I call his name! He's abit Fab.
I admit, I am abit sad, though, that Sid hasn't come strutting out - all angryfied - to say 'who the Hell are you, and WHAT are you doing in my garden'... abit dissapointed.

I would not have taken on any other tortoises, I'd just promised this lady I would give her beloved torts a home for life - before Sid went missing.

Little Ben is such a baby. He's a (feel horrid saying it) not very attractive, younger Sid. Sid's markings are so profound and definate and shell so glossy. Little Ben's is abit flaky and faded, but he has young eyes. He adores having attention though and being handfed/held - sticks his little neck out far for a neck rub!
I've now brought him inside to the tortytable - Bill's still exploring. I will bed Bill down in the guineasehd/summer house when I pop them away for the night in an hour.

Do you think Bill is a SpurThighed - Ibera?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
Mrs Frog
Adult

Neh neh ne heh neh you cant see me,I am up a tree ee
I really hope you find him,look up high its worth a shot,I think he will come back to you when you least expect it and he has sent you two more to keep you busy in the mean time xxxx
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Here are pictures of Ben.. I think (and I know nuffink!!) that he's a young male Hermanns..

Please can someone say if he is?

Also.. that Ben is a male - and that he is not (as described) a Hermanns? xx
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Mrs Frog
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid&Nancy View Post
Here are pictures of Ben.. I think (and I know nuffink!!) that he's a young male Hermanns..

Please can someone say if he is?

Also.. that Ben is a male - and that he is not (as described) a Hermanns? xx
I think Ben is a Horsefield
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Aliza
Juvenile

Yeah me too, definately a horsfield! Awh they are so cute. Ben looks male
Old 05-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
JackieL
Sub Adult

I would say Ben is definitely a horsfield !!
JackieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Sid&Nancy
Egg

Really??
WOW!! - Thanks! - that perhaps explains why his markings are not as distinct and vibrant as Sids' (Hermanns)?
How old do you think he might be?

What about Ol'UncleBill?
What type - and is he defo a male?