Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Off Topic Classifieds

Old 12-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by romski View Post
For those of us that have a particular interest in these things Roath Park was special because it had the biggest population of released animals in the UK.

It was successful because sliders and cooters are riverine animals and must have good oxygen levels for hibernation. Roath park is fed by a good stream as well as having, it seems other factors that are conducive to good hibernation. Not all ponds are suitable for turtle hibernation.

Its a shame as the animals would not have had any significant impact on local fauna being mostly vegetarian. I cant see the point of their capture for any reasons other than due to misinformation or unwarranted local pressure.

Rom
I wasn't aware the turtles were being removed from the lake. I don't see how they would remove them, its not exactly small, 30-acre I think.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
ClareandCo
Sub Adult

Um, odd.

I know (some of) these turtles were in the OP's possession back in late April - don't know if that helps pinpoint the supposed "lake dredging".
ClareandCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
romski
Incubating

Default roath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
I wasn't aware the turtles were being removed from the lake. I don't see how they would remove them, its not exactly small, 30-acre I think.
I asked if it was Roach Park.
Nitwit said they wanted it clearing out, then Nitwit said they were all gone.

Some of the lakes in London were big and they were dredged out; I had some thirty animals to rehome which took months not days. This is a bigger deal so thats why I asked the question.

Can anybody from Cardif area shed more light on the subject? With this summers' rain dredging would not have been an option.
Netting does not work and trapping is only partially successful.

So where did these rehomes come from?

Rom
romski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
romski
Incubating

Just had another look at the photographs, they dont look like animals that have been in the wild.

They are too shiny and of too many differing sizes.
Whats the story here?
Old 13-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
TillyTortoise
Adult

I live just outside Cardiff, I haven't heard of Roath park lake being dredged.

I don't think these came from the wild.

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Roath Park set another record in the late 1990s when an unnatural inhabitant hit the headlines. Following the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle craze pet shops were inundated with requests for terrapins from America and Asia. When the tiny creatures they bought grew into dinner-plate sized creatures, the novelty wore thin and thousands of terrapins were released into lakes nationwide.

The National Terrapin Project's 1997 survey revealed that Roath Park contained 125 of these unwanted pets - more than any other urban lake. When they demonstrated a liking for chick eggs, small animals and birds - not to mention biting human fingers - many were rounded up and sent off to a terrapin centre in Italy. Now there are far fewer in the lake, but because they live to an old age and are probably still being released when they outgrow their pet tanks, they do persist at Roath Park." Taken from a BBC report, March 2006.

I suspect the numbers have risen again since then, I might take a trip down their at the weekend and see whats going on.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Nitwit
Incubating

ask the people who do the boats they tend to be helpful and if you dont believe me frankly I dont care cause you dont know me, I kept two for myself and love them, but I dont know what happening at the lake because of the swan deaths and people you can clean shells lol cant be from the wild shells to shiny yeah tooth brush.....warm water.....get the lake gunk off XD
Anyway don't care if you believe me or not they are happy thats all that matters.
Nitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #17
romski
Incubating

Default rehomes

Are there anymore that need homing?
Are they catching the animals on an opportunity basis?

That BBC report is yet another example of how misinformation is pushed about. Its a shame.

Rom
Old 16-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #18
Nitwit
Incubating

they catch them on a adhoc basis and yes I had them since april been fattening them up and sorting them out ClareandCo stop nitpicking your on my ignore list for a reason.
Also due to heavy rains and swan deaths yes another bbc news story no one seems to be answering the phone down there but not doing anymore now, got the last two in my laguna black water we are all happy and frankly couldnt care less about anything else than making my pets happy
Anyone still wanting turtles there is a unholy load on gumtree right now, I often cruise it for equipment for my pets.

these are my remaining two they look amazing.
Old 17-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
Nitwit
Incubating

updated now with added GREEN