Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 01-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #11
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

CB i'm guessing that the height of the viv is the limiting factor. Maybe Mark will switch to a table later and will then be able to make use of the 100 watt lamp.

And congratulations Mark! Munster looks great.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 01-12-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:35 PM   #12
markbigears
Incubating

Thanks all for the kind comments all, it's so exciting, my son is going to love the little dude! I'll definitely get some coir for his various homes, he's snuggled up in the larger one tonight! I don't suppose one of you could comment on the amount of food I'm giving him? Does it look ok, he's eating about 90% of what I offer.
CB.... Ozric is indeed correct. Giving the height of the viv and by the time the light dome is fitted, I recon there is around 10 inches to the top of the shell. The Arcadia 100w bulb is quite large and extremely hot. It was well over 40c directly below. I've ordered the smaller in size and wattage 80w unit tonight, hopefully that will do the trick, if not I'll have to go halogen on a stat, but would prefer the D3.
Really appreciate the feedback, you all know how it is having your first!

Last edited by markbigears; 01-12-2015 at 10:38 PM.
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

ah ha ! like one of those logic puzzles ! thanks, makes sense! all looks good re food - I have never fed supplements so not sure on the amount. CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
CB i'm guessing that the height of the viv is the limiting factor. Maybe Mark will switch to a table later and will then be able to make use of the 100 watt lamp.

And congratulations Mark! Munster looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbigears View Post
Thanks all for the kind comments all, it's so exciting, my son is going to love the little dude! I'll definitely get some coir for his various homes, he's snuggled up in the larger one tonight! I don't suppose one of you could comment on the amount of food I'm giving him? Does it look ok, he's eating about 90% of what I offer.
CB.... Ozric is indeed correct. Giving the height of the viv and by the time the light dome is fitted, I recon there is around 10 inches to the top of the shell. The Arcadia 100w bulb is quite large and extremely hot. It was well over 40c directly below. I've ordered the smaller in size and wattage 80w unit tonight, hopefully that will do the trick, if not I'll have to go halogen on a stat, but would prefer the D3.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbigears View Post
Mark
I have just bought some Coir/coconut husk from Ikea tonight called Kokosnot! It cost £2 and apparently makes up to 15 litres.
After reading how good this is on the forum I thought must give a try when they start waking up again.
Jan
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
vikki
Hatched

Have used coir for the first time today with my two and definitely like the texture - got mine from amazon (but it came from Germany!!!) Herbie and Daisy are already digging into it more than they did the soil and I think it will be much less dusty in the house as the soil would quickly get dusty under the lamp even when sprayed/watered regularly so this has got to be better for me and them
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
Have used coir for the first time today with my two and definitely like the texture - got mine from amazon (but it came from Germany!!!) Herbie and Daisy are already digging into it more than they did the soil and I think it will be much less dusty in the house as the soil would quickly get dusty under the lamp even when sprayed/watered regularly so this has got to be better for me and them
thats fab Vikki, I love coco coir and so do the torts- I do same amazon. appears cheaper. I will try the Arcadia product though Earth mix soon, CB
Old 03-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
markbigears
Incubating

Jan, just bought a small block tonight to put in his hides.
He also had his first poo, so I'm very relieved tonight!!!
markbigears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #18
Jan W
Sub Adult

Well - the things that excite us!

I made up some of the Coir. I couldn't wait. It is incredible, so I think I am converted before even trying it with the torts.

Look forward to finding out what he does.
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
Catwoman63
Adult

Mine like the coco coir too, (i get mine from ikea, i buy a bulk of 10 blocks at a time) and an extra bonus is that its light weight enough to scoop into carrier bags and throw in the bin x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
light weight enough to scoop into carrier bags and throw in the bin
Oh nooo! What a waste....any gardener would thank you for your coco coir..it is brilliant stuff to add into garden or make potting compost with. Bit of tortoise 'stuff' is just added bonus
Seriously....if I would live closer, I would gladly fetch your tortoise waste.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote