Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 24-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
roedeane
Egg

Default 1960's imported tortoises

Owing to my mother's death I shall be collecting 'my' 2 torts bought for me in 1960 shortly. One is a male Hermann the other is a female spur thigh - I know they shouldn't have been mixed but these have lived together for almost 50 years now - should I split them and find them a friend of the correct species( after quarantine) or should I leave them together but away from my other Hermanns?I know they were never wormed, so would this be a problem after all these years? The only health problem ever needing to be carried out was Henry has had his beak trimmed twice in the last 6 years.Lovely smooth shells etc, how I don't know as the correct info wasn't available back then. The other thought I have had, is that they have no paperwork as they were imported. Am I correct in thinking that I can apply to get them 'registered' as existing? Sorry for so many questions but I really want to do what's best for Sally and Henry as they were/are my first ever pets,Yvette
roedeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Has the male caused any problems to the female by butting? shell damage?

I would take a poo sample to the vets to see if they have worms, to be on the safe side.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
kelly123
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to kelly123 Send a message via Yahoo to kelly123

hiya yes alot of the keepers would advice you to seperate the as you no they should not be mix i understand that you mightnot of had right info when you first got them but you can get it now but might iadd for there age you being doing alot of the right thing as for the papers i not sure about thoughs but a sure some one with better know how will be aloong to advise on that who i could be of some help

regards kelly
HERMANN TORTOISE ,SONYA CLEO ,HERCULES XENA farewell to my warrior and thankyou for trying gone but forever in our hearts. LEOPARDS 4 farewell to my leos they had to go back but was happy to of help them in this short time
kelly123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
roedeane
Egg

Hi Sarah, no there's never been any problem with butting or biting etc. They have always had a really huge garden to roam so maybe this has helped. They do seem to have a 'bond' ie. they sleep together and graze in the same places together,Yvette
Old 24-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Personally, i would not split them up, they have been togther for such a long time, it would be a shame to split them up as long as there are not problems. Has she ever produced eggs?

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 24-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
roedeane
Egg

Yes, Sarah she has laid infertile eggs many seasons - I don't really want to split them as I think that possibly after all these years they are immune to any pathogens each one carries? Just knowing what we do now makes it a tough decision to make,Yvette
Old 24-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
sarah
Administrator
Adult

It could also cause stress if split up. Lets see what other keepers think.

TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 24-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
Pussygalore
Adult

I read somewhere that when they have been together that long it can do more harm separating than any benefits to them .
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
roedeane
Egg

I have to agree about the stress factor - I've seen it happen when my old Dobermann died - it took 2 weeks before the other dogs would eat properly. To think of anything happening to Sally and Henry now is unthinkable - espescially if I caused it. I would really value other keepers opinions, espescially if anyone else has been through this,Yvette
Old 24-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I would keep them together. If the male isn't doing any harm to the female with mating behaviour then I think it would do more harm than good splitting them up after all these years.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote