Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-12-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
yuna1971
Adult

Smile

Petrus, first of all welcome and well done. You are making progress from even being on here and researching the do's and dont's, so good for you. Sad about the previous owner and the awful diet. As has been said - no chicken or egg!
I could babble for England on getting things ready and would probably take up 3 pages of A4 (as people here know...I do go on and on..) but will try and give you some basics (and keep it as short as poss...like 2.5 pages)
Firstly - yes get some pics up of BOTH torts. Their carapace (top) and plasteron (underneath showing the tail bit) and put up on the ID/Sexing section of the forum. We can then try and ID the sex.
I would try and get a tortoise table - if you havent already got one in place. Soil/Sand substrate is fine. Although some owners do find that the sand can irritate the torts eyes. If this happens or if you choose - you can just keep it to sterilised topsoil (from places like B&Q, Wickes etc). You might find that its easier to control than the sand/soil mix. You can spray if it gets too dry. Or just lightly water say once every couple of days or once a day. You could do this when they sleep - so it has the whole night to dry out a bit and then is just nice and firm next day.
The substrate needs to be deep for the Horsefield breed as they do like to dig. **I am always saying this, but the depth I do forget. Check and see what others say about the substrate depth.**
The sleeping area needs to be at the cooler end - so dont place near the warm/basking end. This can be made out of the same soil as you have in the table. Or it can be made from Readigrass (Dried friendly grass) - which can be bought in SW Shop or other outlets. If it EVER becomes damp or they have wee'd on it - change it immediately with fresh. Aim to change say once per fortnight/3 weeks.
If you get a tort table with a lid for the sleeping area this is fine. If not you can buy things like a habba hut which is a log shaped tunnel which they can go in and sleep.
Lighting - The Exo Terra bulb you have now is just heat. What is the wattage of this bulb???
If you are going for a separate heat and separate UV source then in addition to your heat bulb, you will need a UV Strip to run accross the horizontal of the enclosure. Something like the Repti Sun or the Repti Glo , 10% UV tube. These MUST be replaced after 6months use as the UV will have decayed to virtually nothing. So bear this in mind if you get one. You will also need a starter (sold in the SW Shop) to power the strip. You need to get a starter that will cope with the size of strip you buy.
The other alternative is to go for a combined Heat AND UV bulb - known as Mercury Vapour bulbs. I reccomend something like the Arcadia 160w MV bulb - again, sold here in the shop or a website called Surrey Pet Supplies. These are under warranty for 1 year from date of purchase - so if it blows, you can get replaced. You must follow the height restrictions with MV bulbs. Dont go below the Min height. And ALWAYS have it pointing vertically downwards and not at angles. These bulbs can last anything from 12months - 18months. After this the UV will have decayed so you would need to replace.
If you do decide to go for a combined MV bulb - you could still get a UV strip. However, you would be getting the strip mainly for its lighting, as the torts will get their UV dose from the MV bulb. If you get a strip as well - go for something like the Repti Glo 2% (the 2% being a much lower output of UV). Again, replace after 6 months and you would need a starter for it.
Get some good digital thermometers to help with readings. Important to get the basking temps and also the cool end temps, and ambient room temps.
Regular daily baths (lukewarm water) and I do suggest overwintering this year as you will still be getting to know the drill.
There...I do have more to say but time to shut up now.
HOpe this all helps. If I have made errors here....anyone, please feel free to correct me on things. xxx Good luck Petrus, hope all this sinks in.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 09-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #22
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

THank you very much. In the meantime, can I use the light I have and supplement Vitamin D etc? I hope to upgrade the lighting system in a few months.
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #23
yuna1971
Adult

I think you should be ok....although I would prefer that others commented on this as well. I would definitely buy some Nutrobal (if you havent already) from SW Shop perhaps, then light dusting over food - IMO daily. Only a small pinch you will need. Have you thought about what their diet will consist of? Are you happy with what to feed?

Lily's Movie.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #24
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I don't pick up the tortoises until Saturday. I'm going to venture out into the thick snow to head to my local reptile shop today and have a look for some supplements.

I have two small gardens so I intend to feed the tortoises on weeds. I'll perhaps supplement in the winter with a bit of romaine, rocket, cress and kale - but not too much. My family live near by and all have gardens, so they'll be more than happy for me to take their weeds off their hands. I was reading on another thread that the dried pellets can be used in winter, about two or three times a week. So I'll do that too. However, their main diet will be from the garden. I had weeds up until three weeks ago and they'll soon start to grow again, so there's only a small window during which I'll have to look elsewhere. Definitely no egg or chicken!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

I also meant to ask - can you give tortoises hay?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #26
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hay is best avoided as when it gets damp it can produce mould spores - not good for tortie's health
Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
yuna1971
Adult

Petrus...I am thinking. Is there no way you can get a UV source in place. I am thinking, yes short term (as in a week or 2) without ANY UV is probably fine. But a couple of months...not sure about. See what else is offered on advice but IMO and upon further thought...I really think this shouldnt be left for a few months, especially if they are going to be up this winter, growing and fed badly in the past...maybe I am wrong....

Lily's Movie.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #28
yuna1971
Adult

I would go for a bit of green cabbage in place of Kale, again - my opinion but its been spoken about on a thread recently in the Weed/ID section. You could feed bits of this, a bit of butternut squash, some florrette salad/bit of rommaine and possibly pellets on other days. For suppliments - Nutrobal is considered the best and would be the one to get (IMO...again)

Lily's Movie.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Thanks for all the replies.

They are three years old and have never had any UVB light. Will a few more weeks make a big difference? If so, then I will, of course, make the effort.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
yuna1971
Adult

I thought you said it going to be a few months ... Ok, See what others say, if a few weeks it might be fine. But you have to understand that UV is vital to a tortoises growth and wellbeing. You mentioned they never have had UV...and that is awful! IMO, I would rectify as soon as poss....But thats just me.

Lily's Movie.