Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
FinnGB
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I wouldn't put anyone off buying from a shop or wherever as I have done so myself. my Slovenian torts are fine and have even learned to speak English
Thanks again for replies, So slovenian tortoises are exactly the same as uk bred ones, but have higher chances of being ill in the future?

im really worried about this now lol

Caledonia may i ask how old yours are, and have you had any problems with them?

Thanks Rick
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Rick you could always post here on SW in the wanted section of the classifieds for a UKCB tort, or alternatively look for a UK breeder close to you. That way you'd be able to see exactly where your tort has come from and it will not have gone through the stress of importation.
Most breeders will also offer good sound advice and support for the first few months you have your tort if not for life.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #23
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
Thanks again for replies, So slovenian tortoises are exactly the same as uk bred ones, but have higher chances of being ill in the future? more or less in my opinion anyway

im really worried about this now lol

Caledonia may i ask how old yours are, and have you had any problems with them? they will be 4 this year. not had any problems so far

Thanks Rick
.................................................. ..........................................
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #24
shaz
Sub Adult

FinnGB, where are u living? Wot area?
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #25
FinnGB
Hatchling

Also read this article about Slov torts having Herpes. Never heard of torts having this, or ya think this is myth? and can we get it when handing them
Old 22-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #26
FinnGB
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
FinnGB, where are u living? Wot area?
I live in a small village called Lidlington, in bedfordshire. But recently i have lost my car, so travel is very limited, and we dont know anyone close by.
Old 22-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #27
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

The breeder where I got Teddy will give me LIFE TIME Support...Cant get better than that She's been there for me when I have needed help

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #28
TortBabe
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace2 View Post
Well I bought Horace off the Internet, T** ******** ****, ***************.com Horace was delivered 13/6/2009. He was cold but soon warmed up. He is a HAPPY Tort and I have had so much advice from the ******** **** plus here too.
Les White started the business. I only have to send an e-mail asking for advice and I get an answer back the same day. I HIGHLY Recommend.
I got my 1st tort off here too, I didn't know anywhere better to get 1, and have to say I thought the service was fantastic, my tort arrived perfect, and their advice was invaluable in the 1st days. I too, would recommend! x
Old 22-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #29
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
Also read this article about Slov torts having Herpes. Never heard of torts having this, or ya think this is myth? and can we get it when handing them
you won't get it from torts

It won't be a myth but I have not come across anyone who's tort has had it, yet. I understand that it is brought on by a low immune system exactly like shingles which is from the same virus (I had shingles a couple of years ago, it's murder ) so provided they are not stressed a lot and are well looked after and healthy they should be okay. This is where the importing comes in and the supposed stress that comes with it which in turn can trigger the virus.

The virus can't be cured.. and can be dormant for many years, again just like shingles.

I said to my doc, oh well at least I won't be able to get it again now that I've had it and he said oh yes you can get it more than once. I had thought you can only get shingles once
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #30
TortBabe
Adult

I had shingles when I was 12, the doctors couldn't believe I'd got it so young, I do remember how painful it was! Please don't tell me I could get it again???!!!