Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 28-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Hatchling care

As Bella's eggs are doing well I've been wondering do the hatchlings need any different care to the bigger torts.
I'm going to have there own set up with heat light etc as the bigger ones have only smaller scale. I'm guessing they won't want anything they can tip themselves up climbing and will need a shallow water dish.

Is there anything it need to do differently? I've read to bath them daily but do I chop up the food for them so it's smaller?

Also what do I do when they hatch do you leave then in the incubated for a bit?

I just want to have everything organised for the new year and hopefully three healthy happy horsfield babies.

Any advice much appreciated
Old 28-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

It's just the same as big torts , just in miniature . I start mine off in a hamster cage, on top soil, I use the lid off a tub of houmas or dip or soup for water dish.
The only thing is mine hatched in the summer and the nights were warm, so you will need to keep them warm at night. A piece of slate for food, a hide ( keep this humid ) . And the usual lights. You'll be fine Cheryl

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Suze65
Adult

I chop the food slightly, but not too small. Daily warm baths, cos babies can dehydrate quickly. When they hatch, keep them on damp kitchen paper until there tummies heal up, this depends on if there's any yolk sac left and how much. So you will have to wait and see what comes out.

Old 28-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #4
alley cat
Adult

Suze has said it all Cheryl

Congrats on the eggs btw, I have seen the other thread and been looking at the pics, they look very promising
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
cherylahutch
Adult

Thank you for the help that's great. I'm going to keep them in a viv which I know some don't approve of but I've always used them and they work best for me. So hopefully they will stay nice and snug in there. I think I just need things clarified in my head so I know what I'm setting up when the time comes so any help is great.
Old 29-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
Suze65
Adult

A viv is fine for babies, specially as it's winter, like I said mine hatched in the hot summer so the nights were warm, I think a viv in the winter is a good idea. Set it up just as you would for an adult tort, just in miniature .

Old 29-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
As Bella's eggs are doing well I've been wondering do the hatchlings need any different care to the bigger torts.
I'm going to have there own set up with heat light etc as the bigger ones have only smaller scale. I'm guessing they won't want anything they can tip themselves up climbing and will need a shallow water dish.

Is there anything it need to do differently? I've read to bath them daily but do I chop up the food for them so it's smaller?

Also what do I do when they hatch do you leave then in the incubated for a bit?

I just want to have everything organised for the new year and hopefully three healthy happy horsfield babies.

Any advice much appreciated

Sometimes they hatch with an egg sac, which you will find lots of info on, on here. Then you bathe them, as they can get a little dehydrated while hatching.
It can take 24hrs or so for their bodies to straighten out. And they will be very wobbly until they find their feet. Their shells will also be soft, it can take a week or so for the shell to harden.
They will also hide away until they are happy with everything. And they literally bask eat and sleep, just like babies:0)
Then they are treated exactly the same as adults.
Although most keepers tend to treat them like they are fragile, but they are tougher than they look.
Lol I have never chopped up food for any hatchings over the last 20yrs of breeding:0) Letting them eat just like adults helps their beaks and strengthen their leg muscles. As they have to pull at the weeds.
Don't panic if they don't eat for the first few weeks, some eat straight away others take their time.
Bathe daily.
I use an open topped enclosure from hatching, I just make the space smaller until they are moving around a lot.
I don't think vivs should be used for any med or horsfield tortoise.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
becciwales
Adult

Ooh its sooooo exciting! I cannot help in the slightest but good luck with it all

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Suze65
Adult

I would of thought as it's winter, if Cheryl's house isn't warm enough, why can't a viv be used, surely it's better to keep them warm, open top is fine if it's summer or if you've got a warm house.

Old 29-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #10
Marcusanthony24
Egg

Default hatchlings

Just allow them to emerge from the shell totally and them place them on damp kitchen towel then leave them in the incubator after hatching for a day or so, because they don't tend to move about much so are not going to thermoregulate efficiently and also to allow the egg sack to be absorbed, I'm fairly sure they need to be kept warm and slightly humid(at incubation temp) for that to happen. It also reduces the risk of the egg sack rupturing if it is exposed. As with human babies, tortoises benefit from UVB soon after hatching as this also helps the egg sack to be absorbed quicker and encourage feeding and hardening of the shell. You can bath them from day one with careful supervision as long as they are unfolded and can remain upright as they tend to be rather clumsy.