Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Caresheets/Links/Books

Old 15-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Kirkie
Adult

The Tortoise and Turtle Feeding Manual - A C Highfield. Still a good read.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #12
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomyda View Post
New book!!
A fantastic new book has just been published: The Complete North American Box Turtle, by Carl J. Franklin & David Kilpack.
Published by Eco press.
With a forward by Charles Kenneth Dodd jnr, author of North American Box Turtles, a Natural History, it really needs no better recommendation!
For those interested in the North American Box Turtle group, it is a must have volume, with lots of up to date information on Biology and Captive Husbandry of these fascinating animals.
Paul
My copy arrived today and I can safely say this is another fantastic book on North American Box Turtles and dovetails nicely with the C Kenneth Dodd Jr book.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Gaelle
Incubating

naturalistic keeping and breeding of hermann's tortoises by Wolfgang Wegahaupt. Really great with loads of pics and in-depth information and data. Maybe a bit of a "purist" which makes you feel a bit bad not to have the perfect setup he believes is essential, but other than that, truly great book!!
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelle View Post
naturalistic keeping and breeding of hermann's tortoises by Wolfgang Wegahaupt. Really great with loads of pics and in-depth information and data. Maybe a bit of a "purist" which makes you feel a bit bad not to have the perfect setup he believes is essential, but other than that, truly great book!!
Hi Gaelle,

It is a superb book but a very holistic method of keeping tortoises, with each aspect interconnected. I love it but you are right, it may be impractical for everyone. Even so there are many methods that can be taken from it and adapted.

Us Hermanns keepers have been spoilt in the last couple of years with this book and the equally good Hermann's Tortoise by Holger Vetter which is also fantastic.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Yes I enjoyed Holger Vetter's book as well. I think Wolfgang is better on many aspects of keeping them in captivity, but the outdoors facilities that feature in Holger's book are a lot more similar to what most of us can realistically aspire to in the UK.

I've just been leafing through both books to see what other comment I might make and its quickly obvious that in many respects these two books are quite similar.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
Kirkie
Adult

"Turtles of the Soviet Union and Ex Soviet republics" arrived yesterday. Did you know there are no "Russian" tortoises in Russia?

Anyway the photographs and descriptions of Horfields natural habitat are fantastic. The landscape is brutal, its no wonder they get fat in captivity

Also has sections on T Gracea and Caspian and European Pond terrapins for those interested in these species.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
"Turtles of the Soviet Union and Ex Soviet republics" arrived yesterday. Did you know there are no "Russian" tortoises in Russia?

Anyway the photographs and descriptions of Horfields natural habitat are fantastic. The landscape is brutal, its no wonder they get fat in captivity

Also has sections on T Gracea and Caspian and European Pond terrapins for those interested in these species.
Plus Soft shell turtles, in the east!
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #18
Kirkie
Adult

Yes, softshells and marine species are included too. sorry. Bit freaked out by a rat at the moment. Long story.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #19
Kirkie
Adult

"The Year of the Turtle" by David M. Carroll

Buy it, borrow it, steal it. It is a fantastic book. It is descriptively brilliant and is written by someone with a true love of not just turtles but of the natural world.

I'm off to order his new one
Old 09-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
Geomyda
Adult

Year of the Turtle, is indeed a great read and was an inspiration too me many years ago.
Friends just got back from a trip to the USA and whilst they were there, managed to visit New Hampshire and spend a couple of days with David Carroll, at his Art studio. I think that his book Year of the Turtle, would make a great story board for a film documentary!
Those wanting to read this book however, may struggle a bit, as sadly it is now out of print.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote