Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 15-01-2007, 08:50 PM   #21
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I'm confused
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #22
yam yam
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire_Ade
Yam yam, to clarify, its 7 parts limestone flour to 2 parts nutrabol mixed together and added to food daily, like i think you are already doing.

Ade
thanks ADE

0.0.1 Testudo hermanni
yam yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
wizzasmum

It's maths<g> If you sprinke a supplement of any type over a days supply of leaves then that is correct supplementation at the correct ratio as advised for that species. If you mix that supplement with a larger amount of another substance and apply at the same rate then the original supplement is diluted or weakened, a bit like drug dealers do to rip off the addicts, and a bit like diluting gin with tonic rather than filling the glass with pure gin. Is this clearer
Old 15-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #24
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

I understand what you are saying Sue, I was under the impression that the ratio thing was enough daily that it wouldnt overdose like you say limestone can be given freely but nutrabol is to be given in a doseage.

The correct dose being 1 pinch to 1 kilo of body weight which in fact when you are talking of small hatchlings is not a lot at all.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Yeah, i understand what you're saying wizzasmum, thas commen sense BUT i'm confused about how i should be distributing my supllements

I've worked out tht i will give nutrobol twice a week, Limestone powder 2 a week and TNT twice a week, this gives him a break of a day with nothingon his food
Old 15-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #26
wizzasmum

Exactly but hatchligns do not each much either so a pinch would well cover a days supply without adding limestone. I do add limestone for older ones but then they do not need so much nutrobal as growing torts. It's also true of m ost hatchlings that if you put a heavier sprinkling on then they are not so likely to eat it. Just my humble opion of course but there do seem to be a fair few people mentioning soft shells.
Old 15-01-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
KayMarie
Sub Adult

I only sprinkle it over oscars food because he turns his nose up at it otherwise. I was told Oscar was two though, so how much do you think he needs?
Old 15-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #28
wizzasmum

Kay Marie - nutrobal should be given daily. LImestone is up to you TNT is up to you. TNT is not a nutrobal substitute having totally different formulation and not being an essential supplement. The dosage you are stating is cutting the nutrobaol to twice a week which is insufficuent for baby torts according to Tortoise Trust which is the route I tend to follow
Old 15-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #29
wizzasmum

Growing torts need nutrobal daily - that's all I have to say on the subject - my brain is fried
Old 15-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #30
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Ok, Nutrobol daily it is then. I was told 3 times a week.