Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Introduce Yourself

Old 20-02-2008, 01:31 AM   #21
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Hi Neil

So sorry to hear the circumstances for you keeping Phil, but you have probably realised that it is very rewarding work. Your sister would be pleased that you are now his carer. Welcome to the forum, and never mind what time you need to ask there is always someone on here to answer your question. I'm sat here now and it is 1.35
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #22
KearasNana
Sub Adult

Hello and welome from me
Old 20-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #23
neildunne
Incubating

Default Still Very Concerned!!!

Hi once again guys, I have had Phil now two weeks this Monday and he still isn't eating properly! I am really concerned about this. Today i received my winter/spring mix from shelled warriors and i have planted them up right away, and apparently some should be ok in about a weeks time for my little tort. I must admit though i have been feeding him on dandelion leaves ans a veg/broth mix from the grocer. Tortmad has pointed out to me that there are plenty of weeds available now in woodlands and on wasteland etc. I have printed the illustrated pages of weeds off thetortoisehouse website but i'm pretty useless at this as this is the first time i have had any dealings with plants. I am really frightened of giving him something which may be poisonous to him. He is very active and lively, but it cant be good for him not eating, he just has an odd nibble every few days!
neildunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #24
kaz9t9
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kaz9t9

welcome to the forum
Old 20-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
Amanda
Hatched

Hi, mine didnt eat properly for just over a week and I was worried sick - but they have settled in now and are eating happily - so just be patient and I am sure he will eat soon - mine did it when I wasnt watching LOL sneaky things.
Amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
Belinda
Hatchling

Has he eaten anything yet Neil ?
Belinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #27
TortMad
Adult

Neil, keep weighing him weekly and if he looses a great amount of weight then its time to be concerned enough to take him to the tort vets. Tortoises can survive many months without eating. Hydration is much more important, keep bathing him in warm water daily for around 15-20 minutes and see see if his appetite improves.

You may have already said, but what are his temps at the cool end and under his basking lamp and also do you know how old his uv tube is as they are only good for 6 months, maybe this needs replacing.

As for the weeds, one of the best ways I have found to learn new edible weeds is to take a picture then post in the edible weeds section, some one will tell you what they are and if they are safe or not, I have found they stick in your head much quicker and easier this way.

While you are learning and waiting for your seeds to grow feed him on much more healthier food than broth mix. You could try Florette crispy or other bags of mixed salad leaves, bags of watercress, Romaine lettuce and small amounts of cucumber to aid in hydration.

Good luck

I hope little phil eats for you soon

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #28
neildunne
Incubating

Default A small update for those interested.

Just to let the people know who gave me sound and reassuring advice, Phil has been nibbling at bit of food over the last 8 or 9 days. He still isn't eating as he should be, but at least its a start! He's still very active at certain times of the day, and when i get him out of his table and put him in the living room there's just no stopping him, he's like a whippit out of a trap and he's into everything lol. I've keep a very close eye on him to make sure there's no visible signs of any illness i.e. eyes, nose, breathing, i have even checked through his last couple of poo's to see if i can see any visible worms, and everything seems to be fine there. I'm still concerned at him not eating normally though (to the point where i dream about hunting for weeds and plants for him, and having lots of restless nights lol), that said though, reading on this forum and other sources from the net, some torts can go for a month or two on not much to eat at times. I also dont think my sister had hibernated him and was curious as to whether this may have something to do with him not eating as much? I feel slightly more content that he is showing a little interest in his food now, but wont be totally at ease until he is munching away like everyone elses horsfields seem to do. I cant let anything happen to the little chap because of the circumstances i got him, i could never forgive myself. Here's a couple updated pics i took of him in the garden last week when the weather was ok, and i let him roam outside for half an hour.

neildunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #29
Hurley
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Hurley

He's looking happy in the grass sounds like he's settling in fine.

Mummy to Hurley (18 month old Hermanns) & a tiny little baby girl
Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #30
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

He's Gorgeous Neil. I'm sure he is fine and still adjusting to his surroundings
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote