Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 27-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortBabe View Post
I use Nutrobal 6 days and Reptavite once a week I'm sure I read that this was the way the Tortoise Table recommended
This is what I do... I keep mine in a couple of cheapy plastic pepper pots (I made the holes in the top slightly bigger), I find this makes it easy to dust lightly over food.
Old 27-11-2011, 09:17 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know if anyone actually follows or even reads the instructions, they just lash it on.

it's a bit like if you were taking vitamin tablets and the instruction was to take one a day, you wouldn't take 100. That's exactly what is happening by lashing on Nutrobal, the torts are probably getting about 100 times more than what is required. A tenth of a pinch of Nutrobal for a 2 year old tort, blown over the food means that there is only a miniscule amound landing on the food and even then it may not all be eaten.

Same with calcium, the amount that people lash onto the food is 1000 times more than what they get from plants in the wild. I don't know if David Alterton is correct or not in saying calcium in excess is harmful but I wouldn't be risking it
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #13
mrscross78
Hatchling

Thanks Alan, you certainly make sense. My tortoises are 16 months old now but there are 2 of them so I should do 2 tiniest pinches of nutrobal for them... You are right though that when it's blown on the food it goes all over so they wouldn't eat it all anyway.
I could be wrong but I thought you couldn't overdose on calcium?

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
I could be wrong but I thought you couldn't overdose on calcium?
I don't know to be honest, David Alderton is not really saying giving too much is going to cause an overdose I don't think, what he is saying is that "Excessive use of calcium powder on the food can interfere with the absorbtion of other key minerals" though whether that is true I don't know but since he knows more about it than I do I'd be inclined to go with his theory. It may be just the fact that is powdered calcium rather than in another form, perhaps too much of any powder of any kind could do the same?

As for the Nutrobal or Reptivite, I doubt it would do harm if you were not go strictly by the blowing it over the food thing and instead just sprinkle it on. It's just that some folk put loads too much on without knowing what harm it may do. They can overdose on the manufactured form of vitamin D3 (i.e. D3 in the likes of that in Nutrobal and Reptivite)

Last edited by Alan1; 27-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I go by you can overdose any vitamin/chemical element to any animal, including Ca, Calcium. If there not allowed to choose it.
Old 27-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
I go by you can overdose any vitamin/chemical element to any animal, including Ca, Calcium. If there not allowed to choose it.
Aye that's it, if it's forced on them they are getting it whether they need it or not.

in the wild they are getting calcium from plants and if you could extract all the calcium from everything they eat in the wild over a week and could convert it into powder form then I bet it wouldn't even amout to a pinch, in fact it just wouldn't be anywhere near it yet people shovel it on because it says so on the TT site or whatever and as Mr Alderton says, it could be causing harm.

My torts often have a binge on the cuttlefish bone and it's their choice. I also put limestone in the dish from time to time but I've never ever seen them eat any
Old 27-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
alley cat
Adult

Just to add to the confusion isn't there Reptivite and also Reptavite? not sure of the differences though, maybe someone else will know
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've only heard of Reptivite. Is it not just that people spell it wrong at times maybe. Some folk also say Nutrabol instead of Nutrobal
Old 28-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I've only heard of Reptivite. Is it not just that people spell it wrong at times maybe. Some folk also say Nutrabol instead of Nutrobal
No, Surrey Pet Supplies sells both, Medivet Reptavite and Zoo Med Reptivite
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
JoesMum
Hatchling

If you do research into Calium intake on the net, studies suggest that excessive Calcium intake can lead to kidney calcification (stones?) and enlarged kidneys in both humans and animals.

As with humans, if your tort's diet is correctly balanced he should not need supplements of any kind.

If you must give supplements, give them in moderation and never exceed the recommended dose on the packet. Beware of accidental overdoses by using more than one product.

You wouldn't take paracetamol and lemsip simultaneously because you know would overdose. Don't do the same to your tort.