Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 27-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Question Infrared lamps

A friend knows a lady who says tortoise likes to lay under an infrared lamp. Does anyone else use these or know anything about them please?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Ihad one in my greenhouse last year and to be honest they used the ordinary one as much as the infrared one
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

What sort was it please Gordon? I keep having visions of the type for backaches Was it one like that & how did you suspend it please?
Old 27-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

It was a poultry one and i think it was 250 watts
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Levi
Hatched

I've been using them as basic basking lamps for about 20 years, my first was a 250watt my Dad had lying around, he had previously kept his chickens warm with it. Dotty my T.g.ibera loves them. You can get the large farm type in 150 & 250 watts.

They mostly emit 'Near Infra-red' (NIR) and Red Light'. Near Infra-red is just the nearest or closest IR wavelength to visible light, the visible red light they produce is just that red light.

The exact same Near IR lamps I use are used in Near IR Saunas because of the many health benefits associated with NIR wavelengths.

NASA have done research into the use of near-infrared and have found that it promotes wound healing and human tissue growth, they have also researched the treatment of brain tumors and neurofibromatosis.
Certain wavelengths of IR stimulate the basic energy processes in the mitochondria (energy compartments) of every cell, particularly the Near-infra-red wavelengths of light. Different wavelengths of light will penetrate to different depths.
Visible Red light, at wavelengths from 630 to 700 nm penetrates tissue to a depth of about 10 mm. Light at this wavelength is very beneficial in treating problems close to the surface such as wounds, cuts, scars and it is particularly effective in treating infections. Near Infra-red light penetrates to a depth of about 40mm and deeper (quite a lot deeper) which makes it effective for treating organs and provides relief for ailments of bones, joints and deep muscle tissue.

Natural............

Near Infra-red is in fact a very natural form of heat, a whopping 75.5% of all the Infra-red that reaches Planet Earth is in the Near IR range. Wild torts have no shortage of NIR and they tend to recover very well from falls, cuts and animal attacks.

Over the last few years I've tried ceramic heaters, halogens and a Mercury Vapour UV Lamp but she much prefers her Infra-red lamp and she has always been very healthy.

Here is a few of photos of Dotty enjoying her Infrared Lamp outside, you can just about see the RED glow, she hibernates through the winter so I hardly ever need a white light and she gets her UV from the sky.

Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
alley cat
Adult

Wow, that is one impressive tortoise! I dont think I have ever seen one with such perfect growth, well done!!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Easter Bunny
Adult

Dotty is absolutely gorgeous x
Old 31-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
wigwamman
Juvenile

an interesting subject.
what we need now is a 150watt bulb(for heat)that only costs the same as a 50watt bulb to run.
lekky is only going to go up,never down!!
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I've been using them as basic basking lamps for about 20 years, my first was a 250watt my Dad had lying around, he had previously kept his chickens warm with it. Dotty my T.g.ibera loves them. You can get the large farm type in 150 & 250 watts.

They mostly emit 'Near Infra-red' (NIR) and Red Light'. Near Infra-red is just the nearest or closest IR wavelength to visible light, the visible red light they produce is just that red light.

The exact same Near IR lamps I use are used in Near IR Saunas because of the many health benefits associated with NIR wavelengths.

NASA have done research into the use of near-infrared and have found that it promotes wound healing and human tissue growth, they have also researched the treatment of brain tumors and neurofibromatosis.
Certain wavelengths of IR stimulate the basic energy processes in the mitochondria (energy compartments) of every cell, particularly the Near-infra-red wavelengths of light. Different wavelengths of light will penetrate to different depths.
Visible Red light, at wavelengths from 630 to 700 nm penetrates tissue to a depth of about 10 mm. Light at this wavelength is very beneficial in treating problems close to the surface such as wounds, cuts, scars and it is particularly effective in treating infections. Near Infra-red light penetrates to a depth of about 40mm and deeper (quite a lot deeper) which makes it effective for treating organs and provides relief for ailments of bones, joints and deep muscle tissue.

Natural............

Near Infra-red is in fact a very natural form of heat, a whopping 75.5% of all the Infra-red that reaches Planet Earth is in the Near IR range. Wild torts have no shortage of NIR and they tend to recover very well from falls, cuts and animal attacks.

Over the last few years I've tried ceramic heaters, halogens and a Mercury Vapour UV Lamp but she much prefers her Infra-red lamp and she has always been very healthy.

Here is a few of photos of Dotty enjoying her Infrared Lamp outside, you can just about see the RED glow, she hibernates through the winter so I hardly ever need a white light and she gets her UV from the sky.

Thank you for all that helpful info Levi, Dotty is stunning I remember her from before, lovely to see a big tort stretched out basking. After thinking about these I rigged up an infrared lamp I have, its old 150watt phillips infraphil (the type for sore muscles) It has a handle on which swivels so was easy to attach from one of my brackets. I set it up along with a 160w combined bulb in Margie female enclosure & they do seem to prefer it! (Dont know if it has a ceramic bulb holder though!) So am going to look at getting a ref infrared bulbs. Which ones do you use please Levi?
Old 31-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Levi
Hatched

Thanks Alley & Lynne, she is an impressive 30cm and about 5kg at her peak in the summer. She is a little lazy and lives on her own so her shell hasn't had much in the way of normal wear in the last 35 years
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote