Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
emmajh
Hatched

Default Gravid behaviour for two weeks.

Bambam has been pacing, climbing and upturning herself for two weeks now as well as biting the other female which she never does. 3 days ago she stopped eating so figured egg laying was imminent. Have removed other female and temps are 32 degrees. She lives in an outside heated hut but is adamant she wants to go in the garden clawing at her door tip I open it. I let her out and she does a few laps looking for white stones then runs back in again (no wonder its 5 degrees today!).

Last time she was gravid it lasted two weeks and although she lost weight through not eating and pacing she eventually settled down and laid. However weather was warmer then so she had run of the garden.

She has a great big mound of soil in her hut where she laid last time that I put hot water on, it's nice and deep around ten inches.

So how long do you leave them before getting worried that they won't lay?? I don't want her to become egg bound but as this is only second time she will have laid I don't want to worry needlessly and be rushing her to vet if I don't need to.
emmajh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I'd give her another 2 weeks before seeing a vet. Sooner though if she stops using her back legs.

Danny
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
emmajh
Hatched

Ok that's great thanks dan, we are due warmer weather and rain next few days so hopeful she will lay then as she last time she laid she waited for the rain. Tortoise behaviour amazes me!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
emmajh
Hatched

Still waiting.... These girls are pesky! It's 35 degrees under lamp on nest mound but she's sitting in cooler end so I've reduced heat to 31 so will wait and see what she does
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmajh View Post
Still waiting.... These girls are pesky! It's 35 degrees under lamp on nest mound but she's sitting in cooler end so I've reduced heat to 31 so will wait and see what she does
35 c on the nest WOW !!! try around 28c
Old 08-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
emmajh
Hatched

Ok thanks I will, I raised it as read in,an older thread on here to have nest between 35-38. Will lower right now thank you