Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 23-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Unhappy Help eggs

Hi there,
My three female THB came out of hibernation last week, before my largest one went into hibernation she showed signs of being very gravid, she eventually slowed down so I put her into hibernation. This morning she has been very restless and laid 3 eggs, one of which took two hours to fully come out?
My wife has put them in the incubator as I am working offshore until Tuesday. My THB is still slightly restless and has lost 40g of weight since she laid them.
Just need some advice to make sure she is not egg bound or in the early stages of this?
Does anyone know what I could do? I have asked my wife to weigh her regularly until I get home and that way she will have a good idea if there has been anymore eggs laid?
I will also take her to the vet when I get back as we'll just to make sure.
Thanks Andy
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

That's about all you can do until you get back. Though if she stops eating and quits using her back legs she needs to get to a vet ASAP.

Danny
Old 24-02-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Thanks Dan,
Hopefully she will be okay, my wife was in a panick as she did not know what to do. At least she got the eggs in the incubator.
Everything seems to happen when I'm away!!!
Anyway I'll let you know how she is when I get back to check her, going to take her to the vets for an X-ray to be sure.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Got back yesterday, she looks to be doing fine, eating and drinking well, also eating a load of calcium. The only thing I noticed is she weighed 1630g yesterday, after she laid the three eggs she was 1540g? Eggs weighed 25, 24 and 24g
When she came out of hibernation 6 days before she weighed 1585g, I use two sets of scales and they both read the same. Just don't know where the extra 90g has came from in 24hrs basically!
Old 26-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Got back yesterday, she looks to be doing fine, eating and drinking well, also eating a load of calcium. The only thing I noticed is she weighed 1630g yesterday, after she laid the three eggs she was 1540g? Eggs weighed 25, 24 and 24g
When she came out of hibernation 6 days before she weighed 1585g, I use two sets of scales and they both read the same. Just don't know where the extra 90g has came from in 24hrs basically!
The weight gain could be just water, as when they come out of hibernation they will be dehydrated:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
EJ
Adult

They can hold their eggs for up to a year or more without a problem. As long as the behavior does not change... I wouldn't worry about it.

Make sure she is warm and well fed... then wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Robertson View Post
Hi there,
My three female THB came out of hibernation last week, before my largest one went into hibernation she showed signs of being very gravid, she eventually slowed down so I put her into hibernation. This morning she has been very restless and laid 3 eggs, one of which took two hours to fully come out?
My wife has put them in the incubator as I am working offshore until Tuesday. My THB is still slightly restless and has lost 40g of weight since she laid them.
Just need some advice to make sure she is not egg bound or in the early stages of this?
Does anyone know what I could do? I have asked my wife to weigh her regularly until I get home and that way she will have a good idea if there has been anymore eggs laid?
I will also take her to the vet when I get back as we'll just to make sure.
Thanks Andy
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Thanks for all the advice guy,s