Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 30-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
veggie86
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
if you had a male in with the girls could they be carrying eggs? if so I know my female used to eat for england when she had eggs so I'd carry on feeding just in case. Don't forget that light is as important as heat in the winter even if you have to add extra light, I used to use freestanding anglepoise stands with ordinary bulbs as extra as they can be positioned anywhere. I'd also provide the girls with a deep soil area kept nice and warm and humid just in case they want to lay, it needs to be deeper than the tort is long as they really dig down with their back legs.
I've got an ordinary extra light in too as it was looking a bit dark at the non basking end on gloomy days

I don't think it's eggs, they haven't met Pickles yet as I've only had them a few weeks and I know they need to be quarantined for a few months, they weren't with any males in their last home either.

Poppy is 4 1/2 years old and has been sexed as female, Pip is 18 months so I don't know what sex, just say 'she' out of habit Out of interest would Poppy be old enough to lay eggs? I didn't think they would lay until they were fully grown? And Pickles is only 3 1/2 so I'm not sure he'd be very productive yet either lol

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #12
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie86 View Post
I've got an ordinary extra light in too as it was looking a bit dark at the non basking end on gloomy days

I don't think it's eggs, they haven't met Pickles yet as I've only had them a few weeks and I know they need to be quarantined for a few months, they weren't with any males in their last home either.

Poppy is 4 1/2 years old and has been sexed as female, Pip is 18 months so I don't know what sex, just say 'she' out of habit Out of interest would Poppy be old enough to lay eggs? I didn't think they would lay until they were fully grown? And Pickles is only 3 1/2 so I'm not sure he'd be very productive yet either lol
I wouldn't think she would be big enough yet, my Lilly is 6 years old and 16cm and to me she is too small to go through all that, another few centimetres and she may do, although Ive caught her a couple of times recently having a bit of fun with another female lol

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
veggie86
Incubating

Yeah she's around 105mm so definitely too little yet. Are they capable of laying before they're fully grown? I was going to put everyone out together in the big outdoor enclosure next summer but I don't want to encourage her to lay if Pickles definitely is a male and gets a bit randy...

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote