Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
veggie86
Incubating

Default Can you do a 'mini' hibernation?

Would it be possible/beneficial to let Pickles do a mini hibernation this winter for his first one? Say just for 3/4 weeks?

He's nice and chunky, 83mm long and around 130g. He has never been hibernated before and I wasn't sure about it this year as the breeder said they're too small to hibernate if they're under 100mm (which I now know isn't true...).

I do believe in hibernating them, I think it's part of a natural cycle for them and he will be hibernating as from next winter (as long as he's heavy enough) and he'll have a more natural lead into it as he'll be spending the days outside.

I think I'd feel more confident letting him do his own thing next winter if I knew he'd had a kind of 'practice run' this time round.

Would it be detrimental to do such a short time? Has anyone else done this?

1 husband, 5 dogs, 1 cat.....and Iberas Pickles, Poppy and Pip
veggie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #2
lynnedit
Hatched

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't, especially if Pickles winds down a bit in January anyway, for example.
Would you use the fridge method?
Pacific NW, US
lynnedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Personally I think eight weeks is the minimum to hibernate tortoises.
What is the point of just 3-4 weeks, its a lot of stress for very little:0)
Why would you just want 3-4 weeks?
Once you have him/her wound down, its only you that stresses not the tortoise:0)
At any time you are really worried (with your head not your heart) then just get them up, but to do the best for your tortoise eight weeks should be the minimum,. if there is not a big weight loss, then another few weeks is fine:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie86 View Post
Would it be possible/beneficial to let Pickles do a mini hibernation this winter for his first one? Say just for 3/4 weeks?

He's nice and chunky, 83mm long and around 130g. He has never been hibernated before and I wasn't sure about it this year as the breeder said they're too small to hibernate if they're under 100mm (which I now know isn't true...).

I do believe in hibernating them, I think it's part of a natural cycle for them and he will be hibernating as from next winter (as long as he's heavy enough) and he'll have a more natural lead into it as he'll be spending the days outside.

I think I'd feel more confident letting him do his own thing next winter if I knew he'd had a kind of 'practice run' this time round.

Would it be detrimental to do such a short time? Has anyone else done this?
The first time I hibernated my Lilly after having her a few years, she only went down for 4 weeks, I intended to do 8 weeks, but she decided she wanted to get up, last year she also decided she wanted to get up and had urinated after about 6 weeks i think it was, so i just got her up, so I don't see any harm in 4 weeks if that's what you want to do x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
veggie86
Incubating

Thanks guys

Yes, I'll be using the fridge method. We don't have a garage or anywhere which would keep a stable temperature.

I think the thought of hibernating him for 2 months is a bit nervewracking for my first time...I know he'll probably be fine but I won't lol

I think I'll give it a go in January, it will be harder to find a good mix of weeds then anyway I guess so it makes sense. I just wanted to know that if I put him into hibernation then freaked out and wanted to get him up I wouldn't be doing him any harm if it was only a few weeks

Thanks for your reassurance lovely people

Old 11-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You don't have to hibernate them of course
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #7
mark r
Hatched

I dont hibernate mine although 2 of them do a sort of semi hibernation they slow right down and eat only a little each day spend 95% of the day sleeping in a corner the rest of mine just stay active as normal
mark r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
veggie86
Incubating

I know you don't have to hibernate them, but I think it's natural and believe they know best Pickles started to really slow down, ate little and slept all day end of sept/early oct so his instincts are telling him to hibernate even though he's never done it. I got a UV flood light and an extra normal light for his table and he's perked up again now.

Unless there is something wrong I'll be hibernating him when he's an adult, he just seems so teeny now! I think once his first one is out of the way I'll feel more relaxed about it