Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 18-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
STEWIE
Incubating

Default seperation question

Sorry guys got another question, picking your brains while ive got some time on my hands.
Has anyone ever sucessfully kept 2 males horsfields together.
Ive got 2 siblings, same age same size, they were seperated 3yrs ago for gear of them fighting etc. They have a shared room split atm. Just wondering due to electrivity costs and giving them more space if theres a chance theyd ever be able to get on together. Ive spoken to my vet who keeps tortoises and she seems puzzled why ive kept them seperate as hers are ok together.
Ive seen large groups of horsfields together on the russian tortoise site so would be very interested to hear your views and experiences please.
Thanks.
STEWIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Lisamn
Hatchling

Hi Stewie. I have 3 male Horsfields so I'll tell you about my experience. The first tort I got was Peanut, who lived by himself for about 6 months. Then I got Yoda and they lived together initially, but I soon had to separate them as Peanut kept bullying and biting Yoda. About a year later I got Vandal, who I put in with Yoda (after the way I'd seen Peanut react to Yoda I thought it a good idea to keep him by himself). Yoda and Vandal rubbed along very well together for a long time, but then Yoda changed and started to become really aggressive towards vandal, so I ended up separating those two as well. Strangely, at the present time, Vandal and Peanut are housed together and seemingly getting on OK, whilst Yoda remains separated because as soon as he sees one of the others he goes for them. The only thing I can deduce from this is that it depends upon the temperament of the tort and that things can change over time. I think the upshot is that it is possible for them to be kept together without incident, but that you have to keep your eye out and be ready and willing to separate as and when any problems occur. Hope that helps, but it probably doesn't, lol.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
Wanda
Hatched

I keep my males together for the last 3 years as well. They do fight a bit but no really bad problems. I have just made sure there are lots of shrubs and hidey holes so they can run and get out of each others way if necessary.

Sme days they get along like best mates and others they tend to be a bit testy. I keep a close eye and would seperate if necessary.
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
STEWIE
Incubating

Lisamn and wanda, thankyou very much for the help.
I think ill try them together while their outside atm in fresh neutral territory and keep a close watch on them.
Thankyou xx
STEWIE is offline   Reply With Quote