Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
terrypin
Adult

Default second generation CB Testudo graeca graeca hatchlings

I know I have not been onsite for some time but used to be a regular here. Anyway I first hatched these lovely little graeca graeca about 1989 and since then have produced a few. I stopped hatching these some years ago and also no longer hatch my Leopard eggs preferring to concentrate on Hermans. I have kept a few graeca graeca but now am left with 2 females from different mothers and an unrelated male all hatched by me from my original adults. The male is not particularly ardent and only in the last couple of years have my CB females been laying last year I had a confirmed clutch from the smaller of my young females which were not fertile. As said I no longer really have the space to be hatching TGG as I dont raise my youngsters in mixed groups and prefer to hatch Hermanns to sell on they are much easier to raise than North African graeca which dont really do well if kept with Hermans for several reasons. Anyway this year my wife noticed my other graeca laying in the greenhouse while I was at work the next day I dug them up to incubate and I last have second generation F2 TGG which I am absolutely pleased about even though I have been hatching F2 THB from several different females for a few years now. So here is the first of the 2.
Oh the female I hatched 20 years ago.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

How satisfying to hatch and watch your females grow up and then see the next generation hatch!
What a gorgeous little TGG - congratulations.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM   #3
terrypin
Adult

Thank you yes very true, the thing is only like minded people such as on this forum really appreciate that. Thanks again for looking and for your kind commment.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #4
emma_mcraf
Adult

The magic of this forum is we all enjoy photos and news of others' torts. It's nice to celebrate new hatchlings together too as well as it being an incredible source of advice and information from experienced keepers.
I find non-tort lovers just don't understand the fascination. It's so good to chat on here with like-minded people.
I hope you enjoy coming back to the forum. I expect there's a lot of new people on here now.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

What a beautiful little tort. I hope you don't mind me asking , but when you say they are TGG, do you mean Morrocan or Algerian. My understanding is that TGG are Algerian, but this looks more Morrocan.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #6
terrypin
Adult

Hi well spotted I have used the term as a general catch all for North African this was from my morrocan female I had eggs from my Algerian female last year but infertile.Both females that produced these young adults had a 100% hatch rate. I no longer hatch eggs from my TGG wild caught females.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #7
terrypin
Adult

I hope you dont mind but I will post a picture of one of my Algerian hatchlings from a few years ago. I cant tell them apart except for the size. I see you dont have these in your signature have you ever seen how different the Algerian eggs are compared to Morrocan. I have hatched eggs from my own Algerian and my Morrocan I have also hatched Ibera(not my own tortoise) Then I have hatched a fair few Leopard tortoise eggs. I am really interested in being able to ID sub species from their eggs I do hatch a few Hermanni boettgeri eggs from several different females some lay eggs all of a size and shape similar to ibera and others can have a mix of shapes with some a little elongated. Sorry dont get me talking about eggs I will talk you all to sleep.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Aahhh gorgeous, have another look at my signature, I did have a an Algerian TGG for many years, she was very old when she died, but I have never hatched any, so I don't know what their eggs or hatchlings look like, I am very fond of this species. My TGG , Emma, was a real old beauty.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #9
terrypin
Adult

sorry was looking at Emmas signature not yours. My first hatchlings were from my Algerian female Tommie. I hatched them in I think 1989 . The ones I intend breeding from are 20 years old. It never even crossed my mind about second generation breeding so only started keeping them back much later I am pleased I did though.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

Simply perfect. love the little bow too ! CB