Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Feedback/Suggestions/Problems

Old 18-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Gordon
Adult

Default Feeding

Now I know things are getting bad to which I didn't realise how bad till I went to get bird seed from home bargains and the place was almost empty.
I'm going to grow as much tortoise food as I can because the way things are going I can see tortoise food is going to be hard to get so it might be a good idea for everyone to do the same as I wont be able feed my lot on weeds as they will soon deplete.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Now I know things are getting bad to which I didn't realise how bad till I went to get bird seed from home bargains and the place was almost empty.
I'm going to grow as much tortoise food as I can because the way things are going I can see tortoise food is going to be hard to get so it might be a good idea for everyone to do the same as I wont be able feed my lot on weeds as they will soon deplete.
That’s why I got some Mazuri as a standby food. I had an email today from Tesco stating that they will not be offering salads and deli from tomorrow, so no romaine, lambs lettuce or radicchio to help bulk out the weeds. I have enough wild geranium than I need in the garden but I think the torts will soon get fed up of it once the sowthistle, cats ear, plantain and candies get eaten and it’s a while till the flowers and my lavatera bloom.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
CherryBrandy
Adult

I was thinking of getting everyone in the neighbourhood to bring their dandelions round at this rate - if the sun comes out maybe the weeds will too - not sure what to do really as there is nothing left in the shops and picking is scarse.
My one back up is grapevine as it grows in abundance but that hasn't even started yet ! CB
Old 22-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #4
Yvonne G
Hatched

I plan to make a trip to the feed store and buy a bale of orchard grass hay. Then I'll put a flake of the hay into a clean wheel barrow and cover it with water. I'll also put about a half bucket of Mazuri into a 5 gallon bucket and cover it with water. I'll take this around to the different tortoise yards and put a bed of hay on the feeding station, then a scoop of Mazuri on top of the hay.

I normally buy a whole shopping cart full of greens at the produce market, but I don't want other shoppers to look at my cart and think that I'm hoarding (I buy a week's worth at a time), so I'm going to cut back on the produce and go with the hay/mazuri method of feeding for a while.

I don't normally feed too much Mazuri because I have a very bad red ant problem and the Mazuri calls them to it.
Old 23-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Well I planted lots of different seeds last week and already some are growing which is a good thing as all of my lot are up.
Old 28-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

I bought some chilli tree seeds thinking great for cooking and the are ornamental ones !! about 60 of them !! and no where to go - if they come up I will take a picky. CB
Old 08-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
jimothy
Egg

Well the council don't seem to be mowing any of the grass around the estates near me so there is abundant sow thistle, dandelions, plantains. There is also a little strip that has ice plant in abundance that is not getting any attention.

Is lavatera the same thing as mallow? And what are candies?
jimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:30 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimothy View Post
Well the council don't seem to be mowing any of the grass around the estates near me so there is abundant sow thistle, dandelions, plantains. There is also a little strip that has ice plant in abundance that is not getting any attention.

Is lavatera the same thing as mallow? And what are candies?
Lavatera and mallow are different plants but from the same family:0)
I have no idea what candies are sorry:0(

I just though it might be a typo and should have said dandies:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #9
emma_mcraf
Adult

Yup, my typo. It should indeed say dandies for dandelions.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #10
Gordon
Adult

There was me thinking you were feeding sweets.