Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Shelled Warriors Shop, Classifieds and Rehoming > Classifieds > Wanted

Old 11-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
Ceirdwyn
Egg

Update!
It looks like I have found a breeder
She lives down south, but is holidaying near my mum at the same time we will be there, right when I wanted to get one, so there will be an opportunity to meet up and get a baby hermanns.
The next question is what makes a good temporary housing/transport system for a baby tortoise who will have to spend a couple of days at my mum's before we can bring him home to his table?
Ceirdwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #22
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceirdwyn View Post
Update!
It looks like I have found a breeder
She lives down south, but is holidaying near my mum at the same time we will be there, right when I wanted to get one, so there will be an opportunity to meet up and get a baby hermanns.
The next question is what makes a good temporary housing/transport system for a baby tortoise who will have to spend a couple of days at my mum's before we can bring him home to his table?
Get one of those under bed storage boxes..they are high sided enough for a baby tortoise, robust and still big enough for them to live in until you get back in home. If you have Ikea nearby you..I know they do them in just right size for the job

Something like this...http://http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat...ucts/00130129/ and all you need is some 'bedding' on the bottom and small cardboard box with cut out doorway for a little hideaway.

Last edited by Finsky; 12-04-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #23
Ceirdwyn
Egg

That's what I was thinking I know they make good temporary home for snakes, and I figured they would work for a tortoise for a couple of days. What about heat though? As for IKEA, we have a couple in reasonable distance, convincing hubby to take me is a whole other matter though
Ceirdwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #24
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think Vikki uses a paddling pool, around £4 if time it right. I would go with a clamp Ceirwyn if can and a bulb, if not UV, then a nice heated one if temporarily 60w. Good thing with clamp is you can get the temp right without moving brackets around and can clamp on other bits f furniture. Good luck and congratulations ! CB
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
Finsky
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I think Vikki uses a paddling pool, around £4 if time it right. I would go with a clamp Ceirwyn if can and a bulb, if not UV, then a nice heated one if temporarily 60w. Good thing with clamp is you can get the temp right without moving brackets around and can clamp on other bits f furniture. Good luck and congratulations ! CB
Yep...those clamp on bulb holders are just the job and cheap to buy...usually around £2-3. Ikea boxes are quite rigid so one could clip the light on edge of the box! ...unless it is too close it gets too warm undernearth..
And don't Ikea sell coir bricks too!?.....another thing that would come handy and worth it making that shopping trip!
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 06:14 PM   #26
CherryBrandy
Adult

finsky good luck - don't want to sound like an old nag but watch out for the wattage on the ikea ones - they can be as low as 25w and if you go for UV (reptile( bulb) it can pump out 80 - 160 W dependent what one you get. Don't want you to melt the metal ! Reptile clamps will be dearer but probably a little safer ! and they can look very funky. (I know ikea can also but you don't often see a tortoise in ikea). CB
Old 08-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #27
steeley
Egg

If your breeder from down south falls through,I have a couple of CB 2015 horsfield youngsters for sale.They have lived outside in a heated outdoor enclosure and were successfully hibernated this winter.
I have pictures of them hatching.
I am based in Stoke,not a million miles away from you.
I am away for the last 2 weeks of May.
steeley is offline   Reply With Quote