Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 15-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #11
nina
Adult

If you go into the tortoisefriends forum website, and click on the Files section (in the panel on the left) there is file about halfway down the page called Fenbendazole calculator. Fenbendazole is another name for Panacur, and you ought to be able to use this Excel file to calculate dosage according to your tortoise's weight:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoisefriends/
Old 14-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Use a syringe to measure the doses out much easier than straight from the tube.
A syringe measures the volume (e.g. ml), while the dosage on Panacur paste is by mass (e.g. 187mg per 1G).

As such, how do you measure the correct ammount using a syringe?

Do you know the conversion rate for Panacur paste please? (e.g. 1G = 0.9ml)

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'd be veryt interested to know if anyone does have the conversion rate for the 18.75% Paste.
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 01:05 AM   #13
alley cat
Adult

According to Andy Highfield Panacur paste for horses contains 3.5g fenbendazole in 20 g of paste, i.e. approx 19% concentration, or 187 mg per g. For practical purposes, a concentration of 20 % can be assumed. This make calculating the volume of paste for dosing straightforward:
For a 2kgtortoise: 2 x 100 mg = 200 mg = 1 g of paste total over 5 days.
For a 1.5 kg Tortoise: 1.5 x 100mg = 150mg = 750 mg of paste total over 5 days.
NB : 1 g of paste is approx equal to 1\4 teaspoon measure.

Hope this helps!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 02:08 AM   #14
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
According to Andy Highfield Panacur paste for horses contains 3.5g fenbendazole in 20 g of paste, i.e. approx 19% concentration, or 187 mg per g. For practical purposes, a concentration of 20 % can be assumed. This make calculating the volume of paste for dosing straightforward:
For a 2kgtortoise: 2 x 100 mg = 200 mg = 1 g of paste total over 5 days.
For a 1.5 kg Tortoise: 1.5 x 100mg = 150mg = 750 mg of paste total over 5 days.
NB : 1 g of paste is approx equal to 1\4 teaspoon measure.

Hope this helps!
Hi alley cat,

Thanks for the reply, but I dont think you get what I mean, I probably worded it badly!

I need to work out the volume in CC or ml of 1 gram of the paste. (or any other calculation so I can work out how much paste to put in my syringe)

Regarding the bit about 1G = 1/4 teaspoon, I don't honestly see how this can be, as it would mean that 1G = 1.25ml. Meaning the paste would be less dense than water, yet when I put some in water it sank to the bottom. I.e. the paste should *I think* be heavier than water.

I can figure out the weight in mg of paste needed (50mg /kg for a 72G tort), but converting it to a measurement I can use in my U30 syringe (smallest I have) is the part I'm stuck on.

Hope that makes some sense!
Old 15-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
alley cat
Adult

Sorry, I don't know the answer to the maths question!
I have used the dose shown in my previous post with no problems, the margin of error with Panacur means it is pretty safe as I understand it, I would be interested to know if it varies the end result by much if you ever find the answer!!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #16
CherryBrandy
Adult

This is a conundrum! just interested. can I just ask why are you mixing with water or is that a comparison density v weight, float and sink thing?
Panacur rabbit which comes in a syringe I use for torts (crikey should I not be using panacur rabbit?? someone might be able to tell me. 5grammes for a 2.5kg weight (maybe this equates also to any animal as its grammes to weight ratio?. So I would say a 72g tort wouldn't even need a syringe as its going to be tiny measurement?? Not sure that helps sorry. Hope someone posts again ! CB
Old 15-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
This is a conundrum! just interested. can I just ask why are you mixing with water or is that a comparison density v weight, float and sink thing?
Panacur rabbit which comes in a syringe I use for torts (crikey should I not be using panacur rabbit?? someone might be able to tell me. 5grammes for a 2.5kg weight (maybe this equates also to any animal as its grammes to weight ratio?. So I would say a 72g tort wouldn't even need a syringe as its going to be tiny measurement?? Not sure that helps sorry. Hope someone posts again ! CB
Only added some to water to see if it was heavier/ligher than water or about the same, appears it's heavier.

The measurement will be tiny, I've cut the end of (the needle) a u30 insulin syringe (holds 0.3ml max), so that I can measure it out as accurate as possible.

I may just get the 10% liquid if I can't find the maths to convert it, but thought the paste would be easier to get down.

Thanks both for the replies
Old 15-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Splinter
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley cat View Post
I would be interested to know if it varies the end result by much if you ever find the answer!!
I don't think it will be a massive difference, just want to play it as safe as possible.
Old 15-11-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
vikki
Hatched

Hi Splinter - here is a link to doseage guide;
http://www.tortoisetrustforum.org/ph...ur+dose#p79725

I know when I did Herbie and Daisy they were very small. Herbie was approx 40grams and it worked out at about 0.02ml. The other way you can do it is to squeeze one syringe graduation of the paste into a normal syringe and divide down accordingly. My two definitely ended up with more than the recommended dose but were ok.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote