Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #341
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
I’ve got the fairy lights on the go already. Ivy leaves along the mantle and autumnal leaves that light up going up the banister.
I always decorate seasonally.
I think by now you all know autumn is my favourite season.
Nothing like a bit of Buble Christmas songs mid-November to get the season underway, eh Suze?
We’re already wondering what adventures Kevin the Carrot will be getting up to this Christmas.
Absolutely, but as you say, I’ll wait until November , then a few lights can go up, and a bit of mr Buble can go on

I like the idea of decorating seasonally, not just for Christmas

Your thoughts Gordon ?

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #342
tortydat
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
Absolutely, but as you say, I’ll wait until November , then a few lights can go up, and a bit of mr Buble can go on

I like the idea of decorating seasonally, not just for Christmas

Your thoughts Gordon ?
What are you trying to do to the poor chap - he'll have a relapse with all this decorating talk!!!
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #343
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
Blimey, that’s earlier than me! I thought mid November was quite early to start but you’re well ahead of the game.
Yvonne, last winter was my daughter’s final year of being homeschooled so we sat and watched a Hallmark film every afternoon from the third week of November before starting on the favourites and classics.
I never get tired of them.
Old 21-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #344
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
I have been feeling a bit tempted to put on some Christmas music
Oh please! I watch the movies, but I hate seeing the decorations go up so early in the year. And I get VERY tired of the music!!!
Old 22-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #345
Suze65
Adult

I’ve bought a tiny Christmas tree for my sitting room on the 1st November I think I will have to play some cheery Christmas music , I think I will need it !

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #346
Yvonne G
Hatched

Quote:
I’ve bought a tiny Christmas tree for my sitting room on the 1st November I think I will have to play some cheery Christmas music , I think I will need it !
Several years ago my grand daughter, who lives in Texas, came to visit me on Christmas. We bought one of those tiny trees and decorated it. After she went back home I planted the tree in my leopard yard. It's now taller than me. I don't do Christmas anymore. Too much work for not enough reward. No decorations, no music, no shopping. I do send out a few cards. Over on the Tortoise Forum, a group of us have a card exchange. It's quite nice receiving cards from folks all over the world.
Old 23-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #347
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonne G View Post
Several years ago my grand daughter, who lives in Texas, came to visit me on Christmas. We bought one of those tiny trees and decorated it. After she went back home I planted the tree in my leopard yard. It's now taller than me. I don't do Christmas anymore. Too much work for not enough reward. No decorations, no music, no shopping. I do send out a few cards. Over on the Tortoise Forum, a group of us have a card exchange. It's quite nice receiving cards from folks all over the world.
I streamlined Christmas a few years ago. I used to write over 70 cards, many out of obligation and to people who only get in contact around Christmas, so I knocked that on the head. Now it’s immediate family, closest of friends and colleagues only.
Likewise, the ‘obligation presents’ also got knocked on the head.
So now we just do it for us and I buy presents only for my husband and children.
I don’t believe in the religious side of Christmas but I love the spirit of the season and so we do it our way.
It’s certainly hard work decorating, but we enjoy it, though keep it fairly low-key as my youngest is autistic and so doesn’t really like too much change and doesn’t feel the festive vibe.
I do almost all the shopping online and have hubby and my eldest daughter to nip to the shops for me and pick up anything I can’t get online.

I think it’s as hard work as you want to make it. We just do it our way. I think, for me, the reward is having the family sit around the table together for the Christmas meal on Christmas Eve (we stopped having it on Christmas Day when the kids were young as I was spending most of the day in the kitchen and not playing with them!) and then just chilling the next day.

It’s lovely you do your Christmas card exchange and have cards coming from all over the world.
I think people put too much pressure on themselves to have a ‘perfect Christmas’ when there’s no need. I like to hear when people just do it their way and aren’t bulldozed into doing what the extended family demands and so on.
For us, it’s just a couple of days to be together, eat and relax.
Enjoy your Hallmark films!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #348
emma_mcraf
Adult

Back to the thread...how are you, Gordon?

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 23-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #349
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Back to the thread...how are you, Gordon?
Well all that was enough to make me ill again.

I'm still infection free at the moment but back to having dressings done by doctors nurses next week so who knows what I will catch again.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #350
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Well all that was enough to make me ill again.

I'm still infection free at the moment but back to having dressings done by doctors nurses next week so who knows what I will catch again.
Infection free is good.
You’re going to have to ask the doctors and nurses to start wearing hazmat suits before they come near you!