Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 24-05-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
bruceleetortoise

Default my new additions: baby ybs and 'hireoglyphics' turtles

dan im uploading the pics as i write this to send to you for you to id these turtles.

but thought id post these while im waiting on them to finish for everyone to see my new babies.

tucking into a wax worm.

having some turtle pellets

anyway i think thats enough for now, sorry about so many pics, got carried away (only actually posted about a tenth of what i took).

so what you all think of these wee beauties???
Old 24-05-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
tot
Incubating

Hi, can i ask do all turtles live in a set up like that as they are really nice to they bite?
tot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
bruceleetortoise

yep all mine live in a similar kind of setup to what you see in the pics, they are semi aquatic, which means they have water but also an area to come out of the water to bask. my chinese softshell doesnt have a basking area though as im told by egyptiandan that it would be a waste of time as they do not bask.

yes turtles can and sometimes do bite, in fact the softshell bit me the other night, only had him for about 3-4 weeks, and thats the first time he's caught me (but he's tried hundreds of times), it didnt bleed but he did break the skin, these little ones are only about 4cm right now, but one of them did try and bite me earlier tonight, but because there so small its not sore, but when there bigger if they bit you would give you a nasty nip.

they are definately beautiful animals and very entertaining, highly recommended!!!!!!!

but in my opinion they are a bit more work than a tortoise, what with all the water cleaning etc, as they are quite dirty eaters.
Old 24-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
Blaze
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Blaze

They are so lovely! I was at a garden centre last weekend ( terrible place, lots of poorly torts. ) and they had these little YBS and there was one swimming along the front of it's tank and i sorta put my finger there as if to stroke it, and he snapped at it about 10 times! Either he was very hungery, or just a frisky little guy! They are adorable!
Old 24-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
tot
Incubating

Do you keep False Map Turtles Sorry to hear they bit you
tot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
yakface77
Hatched

Nice looking set up mate, lots of interest for them there, happy turtles me thinks.
but in my opinion they are a bit more work than a tortoise, what with all the water cleaning etc, as they are quite dirty eaters.[/quote]

Hey Darren, Hows it going ?
Just interested in what filtration system you are using for your setups ? and also what filter media ? Maybe life can be made a bit easier for you !
I use a fluval 404 with my inside RES setup, so its an external cannister filter system which i clean the media pads probably about every month, due to the effectiveness of the system. The setup is not smelly or dirty whatsoever.
Ive heard that volcanic substrate is ideal for your turtle species !!

By the way nice turtles mate, i picked up a 12 year old rescue res yesterday, she is stunning and considering she has had no uv or heat for her life she is remarkable well and in good condition.

I think her saving grace has been her owners feeding her on King british pellets and supplements, and those sticks !
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
bruceleetortoise

thank for the kind words everyone, i love my turtles (and tortoises) to bits.

Quote:
Do you keep False Map Turtles Sorry to hear they bit you
no but i did find a site that sold them fairly cheap, but i wouldnt buy any animal 'through the internet', just dont like the idea of ''adding 1 to my basket'' and having it sent to me through the post, so would never get an animal through an online site. and the only ones ive found without buying online is ybs and hiroglyphics and res, so thats the only ones ive kept or still keep.

Quote:
Hey Darren, Hows it going ?
Just interested in what filtration system you are using for your setups ? and also what filter media ? Maybe life can be made a bit easier for you !
I use a fluval 404 with my inside RES setup, so its an external cannister filter system which i clean the media pads probably about every month, due to the effectiveness of the system. The setup is not smelly or dirty whatsoever.
Ive heard that volcanic substrate is ideal for your turtle species !!

By the way nice turtles mate, i picked up a 12 year old rescue res yesterday, she is stunning and considering she has had no uv or heat for her life she is remarkable well and in good condition.
in my chinese softshell tank i have a fluval 1 filter, and in the ybs/hieroglyphic tank i have 2 filters in, one is a fluval 2+ and dont really know the name of the other one, i will check when i get home tonight, i dont find my water smelly or dirty either, but even then i still like to clean the water out every now and then (but i guess i clean out the torts too), so i was probably wrong in saying they are more work, probably about the same.
i dont have a substrate at the bottom of their tank, the softshell has sand to bury himself in, and when i was getting the ybs/hieros tank setup i wanted to make it as interesting as possible, wanted to give them hides under the water, but was worried they'd get stuck, so i just put a big S shape lump of bogwood at the bottom, which allows them to hide under and use it to swim around and walk on, as well as the decor in there too i think they are happy, in a few months down the line, i will need to swap them over into a bigger tank, but even then i should have my own house by then and will be giving them an outdoor pond.

i did see the pics of the 12 year old res you rehomed, she is definately a beautiful turtle, i had a fully grown female, she was about 11inches, she was really big, and the owners kept her in a 2foot tank, she barely even had room to turn around , she wasnt quite as nice as the one you got, like you say its probably because shes been fed on a decent food the one i got was fed solely on prawns and bits of ham.

any chance you could post pice of your turtles and setups???

anyway i think ive rambled on long enough, sorry when i get started talking about turts/torts i find it difficult to stop, lol.
Old 25-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
yakface77
Hatched

Hey Darren,
Ive been busy taking some piccies this morning mate at your request , fliiping heck, turtles dont half take some time to pose, tortoises are dead easy to pose
First pic is my set up for the young res's 29 gallon tank,inc uv and heat, and floating bark at top.

2nd pic is of res .

3rd pic outdoor pond

4th Pic Resuce RES (Chips)(12 years old)

5th Pic 1 of 2 Florida cooters (6yrs) having a sneeky peek.

Within the next few weeks ill be ensuring they have a totally dry access to bask in, at the moment they stay a bit wet (unless i drop water level by a half inch.

Turtles are great, they are so cute i love their snout shapes. The new res i have was much bigger than i thought after seeing the pics, she is fully grown and would fit nicely on a dinner plate (sorry about this comparrison, cant think of another object apart from a frizbee that is the same size) realy strong legs and has never ever been handled. She is good though and hissed at me a bit.
1.1.2 Florida Cooter turtles
0.1.1 Red Eared Slider Turtle
0.1.0 Mississippi Map Turtle
yakface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
bruceleetortoise

fantastic pics mate.
what size is the tank in feet????
what size is the res thats in the tank??

the fluval 404 filter looks huge, is it better than a normal filter such as what im using - fluval 2+ or whatever the other one is?
also what substrate is it youve got in there?? looks like gravel, i dont have a substrate at the bottom of my small turtles tank, only my softshell has substrate.
Old 25-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Blaze
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Blaze

wow! what great set ups! both of your turtles must be in heaven!