Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay
Default Turtle confusion

Ok guys, guess the turtle species! We went to a zoo on Saturday and I was actually impressed by the husbandry I know lol but the only one (besides the Lynx, don't go there) was the turtles. However I need to look into them more, haven't a clue..

It has a label saying Malayan Box Turtle but the red ears of a red eared slider

I've looked at pictures until I'm going cross eyed and it looks like neither (I thought maybe they had both in the enclosure but only one sign)

The Malayan box turtle is too domed (in the pics I've looked at) and Andrew swears the head is wrong.. So between us we're no nearer. Is there another species that looks similar? Or is it likely that it's a very ill/previously badly kept one of the above?

Sorry for being so vague but my camera had died before we got to these guys

(Incidently, their enclosure wasn't too bad, just lacking proper lighting and had some sort of giant shedding lizard in with them.. You know, the essentials however the design was very naturalistic, terrestrial space as well as water - clean and filtered. Don't know about feeding. Seems that yet again "they're only reptiles, they'll be fine" applies.. Here's hoping they hire me, can improve matters lol)

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

You need to at least describe it Ajay It didn't look like a red eared slider? There are other sliders with red or reddish ears. http://www.chelonia.org/trachemysgallery.htm

Danny
Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

Easier said than done! lol but it wasn't supposed to be a slider at all, but I find it impossible they have a malayan box turtle with red ears and a flatter carapace when noone else does lol

That's the image they have on their website which looks like a (Giant) Malayan box turtle (or at least, all the other pictures I've seen lol)

But the one basking when we were there looked more like this:

Perhaps I'm doomed to be confused forever lol or at least until I go back with spare batteries for my camera

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Their web picture is a Malaysian giant turtle, Orlitia borneensis. They get huge, 70 to 80cm
You will definately have to go back, with extra batteries, and get a picture Ajay.
You also picked a picture of my favorite slider, Trachemys gaigeae gaigeae, the Big Bend slider. I've seen these guys in the wild in Texas and raised up quite a few hatchlings for a friend of mine.

Danny