Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Trac3y
Egg

Default Slate or pebbles?

I wanted to buy some type of stone possibly for my indoor and outdoor enclosure. I see B&Q sell 25Kg bags for £7.68 for pebbles or £5.48 for decorative slate, I just wondered whether they are safe? Is there any safety issues I should be aware of?
Still don't have a tortoise yet!
I do have an indoor table & outdoor enclosure though!
Trac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

Think about the colour, there was a post on here recently (I think from the tortoise trust forum) showing the temperature difference just from choosing different coloured gravel. from light cream to grey there was a 15 degree difference - big difference for a tort.

I have been using dark coloured slate for the last few years & havent had a problem. Just re-doing their enclosures & going to use dark & was going to get gravel, but I have had the bigger ones out there with me today (I have had to remove their enclosures to make way for the new one) whilst I have been painting & they have all drove me mad eating stones - Dont know if it was because they were something different & it was a novelty? So not sure now, may stick with my slate!

I think its not a huge problem them eating stones as long as they are well hydrated but id just rather they didnt.

I have also heard they like white stones (to eat) as they associate white things with calcium.

Anyway woffling now, sorry for long post!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Trac3y
Egg

That was really helpful thanks Lynn, I had looked at White pebbles so I'll avoid those! So is it good to have a darker slate or does that mean they get too hot? I know outside dark will be ok 'cos our summers are rubbish but should I avoid dark slate for the tort table?
Old 19-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
Torterra
Sub Adult

I found a good bargain in Wickes hardware store. They mostly sell in bulk, however tey sell slates in single and whats more, they give good discounts on broken slates, I found a few in our local store, even slightly imperfect will give you reduction. I asked if I can have it free, they still charged me for broken. I got exactly sized I needed and it is lovely quality, not too thick. Very pleasd with it. We had simlar discussion earlier this year, chack this thread out:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=41300&page=2
HTH.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Trac3y
Egg

Thank you, I checked out the link
I have a local Wickes, I'll check it out. Thank you.
I'm so glad I asked though, I'd have been devastated to purchase a new tortoise and see it eating stones!
Old 19-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
burnt toast
Adult

Definately opt for dark outside - I also have a large dark rock , like a piece of very thick slate & they vie for position on this - must hold the heat.

I think dark will be fine inside too (I have both) natural dark slate for some plates & upturned ceramic tiles for others. Havent had a problem with them trying to eat the tiles!

The only thing I would say is if its quite thin dont put it directly under your heat source as it will warm through & get very hot quite quickly the thicker type is ok.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Trac3y
Egg

Thank you.
Such helpful people
Old 20-06-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
TomBooth
Egg

Another vote for wickes, they often sell split bags for half price too. I use small pieces of slate outside in my enclosures, keeps their nails trimmed an worn an they sometimes try an eat it so it dresses there beaks too.
Try an get a nice bigish piece of slate too for under the basking lamp too tracey, something that'll hold the heat an keep them warm. On cooler evenings mine sleep on/near the basking rock with it holding heat for hours.

TomBooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Trac3y
Egg

Hi Tom, and thanks Tom. What a lot of lovely helpful people on this forum!
Old 20-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
RacingSnake
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to RacingSnake

Bit of an odd first post by me
but for cheap slate, the place to go is costco (if you're a member of know anyone!).
The 25kg bags are £2.89 - we've done a lot of our garden in this, so when I start building the enclosure, this is what I plan to use - it will help it 'fit' better into the rest of the garden then too
RacingSnake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substrate