Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #21
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac3y View Post
Sorry I didn't mean cuddle, when i said tame i meant not shy away when you were near them and come out for food maybe when they hear your voice or smell your scent. Not quickly scuttle away when they hear someone coming nearer if you know what I mean.
I don't thin they tend to scuttle away whether they are "tame" or not. Certainly my slovenians would hiss when I picked them up and their heads would shoot inside their shell. They got very agitated too, heads moving from side to side. My UK CB Iberas are totally different!
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
The midlands. They are on a website. I'll go check what it states about breeding. They were mini microchipped as well which I presumed was a good thing. £145 1 year old.
I don't get this, which is not uncommon for me . Micro chipped already if so cheap.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #23
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

my torts are Slovenian but have never hissed or anything. they can speak English now too, well they can speak Scottish
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Trac3y
Egg

It turns out Paul they are from Turkey though it's a UK website. It does state captive bred, not UKCB maybe that has something to do with the price!
Trac3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #25
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Maybe not being true Testudo Hermanni Hermanni has something to do with the price!!!!! Compare pictures!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #26
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
It turns out Paul they are from Turkey though it's a UK website. It does state captive bred, not UKCB maybe that has something to do with the price!
they will originate from a tort farm in Turkey but will have been imported into the UK already in batches and sold from the UK, same applies to Slovenian and Macedonian reared torts. Like buying a VW, built elsewhere but sold in the UK

I can't understand either why they would be microchipped because at one year old they are not going to be 4 inches long so therefore there's no need
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #27
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Sorry I didn't mean cuddle, when i said tame i meant not shy away when you were near them and come out for food maybe when they hear your voice or smell your scent. Not quickly scuttle away when they hear someone coming nearer if you know what I mean.
Bear in mind there all can be different in there personalities this can come out strong as they get a little older. There not cloned .
Old 11-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #28
NATURALIS
Adult

Quote:
Ok, back to square one in finding a tortoise! I'll avoid ones that are not bred in the UK. I did automatically presume these were! Not good to be presumptuous! I'm not in any rush anyway. So what age should I look for to try to make it really tame?
if you can wait till begining of july i will be in cannock and could sell you some uk hatched hermanns or ibera's?
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #29
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by red foot marg View Post
if you can wait till begining of july i will be in cannock and could sell you some uk hatched hermanns or ibera's?
Amazing tortoises, Tracy. I have 2 of Red Foot Marg's Iberas! Have a look in picture section to see what they look like.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

If I was Tracy I would be looking into that idea of taking on one or two of Chris's tortoises! Back to the question of buying one or two, most us find that one is not enough. Once you have your set-up organised there is hardly any difference caring for one, two or three little tortoises. It's true that often we cannot keep them together permanently.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 11-06-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1 or 2, hermanii hermanni, hermann