Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 05-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Holby
Egg

Cool Greenhouse

Hi Folks,

Here is something to deliberate over.

I am having a greenhouse delivered next week and am wondering if I could actually house my torts in there during the spring/early summer months. after all it will be certainly be warm for them and will provide good humidity too with adequate ventilation just like a tropical / Med climate. I understand it is important to have plenty of shade for them, and that during the hotter months they should be removed to prevent over heating. Does anyone currently use this method of housing? or does anyone think that there may be potential problems that I have note forseen?

I await your replies eargerly!

Holby
Holby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I've no idea sorry but the UV doesn't come through glass as far as I understand
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
swad1000
Adult

Lots of people use greenhouses as accommodation, but they are usually attached to an outside enclosure so the torts can go out side when warm enough and retreat to the green house when its cold or to warm back up.

As has been mentioned to house them completely in a greenhouse, you would need some form of UV provision as glass/most types of plastic block most/all of the UV that the tortoises need, you may also need so form of heating on those cold spring/autumn days when temperatures may still not get high enough even in a green house.
swad1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I would get a Combined bulb heat and UVB set up in there for the days they dont go out.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm hoping to set up a greenhouse this year specifically for my torts. I'll insulate it with bubble wrap and as Swad and Sarah have suggested install a mercury vapour bulb for those cooler mornings or whenever it's needed.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Holby
Egg

Thanks Folks,

An adapted outside enclosure sounds good. that way then then can also get UV rays. I think I will most definatley house them inside during winter. Also someone told me to ensure that the greenhouse is rat proof.

Thanks

Holby
Holby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
sandy
Adult

UV doesnt go through glass, but I have got two greenhouses, set on bricks. With a couple of bricks missing at the door end, so the tortoises can come and go as they please. Some have an enclosure around the greenhouse so they dont have the whole garden to roam. But I do have pig lamps or spotlights in them both, as there are times of the year when our temps are not so high. Even the Summer.
Mine are set on bricks but have garden soild inside, rather than a base, as my tortoises are given the choice to dig down for hibernation if they choose. These are iberas.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
terrypin
Adult

hi i use greenhouses for my hermans and my graeca graeca ,and as Sandy said no base at all.they are mounted on a wall of blocks with doorways and the centre is soil for nesting.i also use heatlamps to warm them up in the mornings if its dull at the start and end of the season.late autumn they get restricted to the rear pens for wind down and also these are used early season for mateings and are often used to give nesting females peace and access to a part of the greenhouse away from the others.the block walls have pairs of wooden battens fixed so boards can be slotted in to segragate areas as and when needed.they have access to the outside all day.
terry

Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
madsmum
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypin View Post
hi i use greenhouses for my hermans and my graeca graeca ,and as Sandy said no base at all.they are mounted on a wall of blocks with doorways and the centre is soil for nesting.i also use heatlamps to warm them up in the mornings if its dull at the start and end of the season.late autumn they get restricted to the rear pens for wind down and also these are used early season for mateings and are often used to give nesting females peace and access to a part of the greenhouse away from the others.the block walls have pairs of wooden battens fixed so boards can be slotted in to segragate areas as and when needed.they have access to the outside all day.
terry

wow what great homes! do they live in these all year round as would love to make something like that!
madsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
terrypin
Adult

hi.thanks for your kind comment .this set up is for my meds so the adults are in hibernation boxes during the winter and any youngsters who are on a shorter hibernation are penned in the cellar /tortoise room when they are awake.the heat lamps help to extend the season at both ends and encourages them to go out and graze even when the weather is poor.
terry

Tags
clearhouse, greenhouse, hot, problems, tortoises