Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 23-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
HelenCF
Egg

Unhappy Inactive Horsfield

Please could someone tell me their thoughts?

I have a nerly two year old horsfield, Mac, I've had him since January.

He has recently become very inactive, he doesn't come out of his shelter during the day anymore and rarely eats, its been like this for the past few weeks. He used to be out everymorning to greet me and would trundle around his tortoise table basking, eating and wandering, until about 3pm when he'd retire for the evening. Not anymore though I never see him apart from when I have to disturb him for a bath, which I hate doing cos I don't want to distress him.
I hear him scratching around in his shelter but he never comes out of his own accord.

I'm a new tortoise owner and therefore am not sure if this is him winding down for hibernation or whether or not he's poorly.
Old 23-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

It does sound like he is winding down. Is he outside? I had to bring mine in, as the temps have dropped quite a bit where I live and he was always sleeping and had lost a bit of weight.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
HelenCF
Egg

No he's been living inside, it's been too wet and cold here for him to be out. It's not been cold in our house so I can't work it out.
Old 23-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #4
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

It could still be, he is winding down as the ambient temperature is down. What are your temps cold and hot end?
If you are still very worried pop him to the vets where he can have a once over.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Hazel
Juvenile

One of my Horsfield's has been similar, she's inside now, but it's like she can sense it's coming up to winter. She's eating, but less, she's much less active...but i don't think she's poorly.

(I'm over-wintering my two because I've only had them a short while.)
Old 23-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
DAISY
Adult

I know I keep saying this, but try upping the light levels guys lol

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
chatty123
Hatchling

HELEN...I have 2 horsefield and they are acting the same as yours... they did exactly the same last year and the year before,and, i panicked just like you. But honestly they'll be fine..
Keep up the baths and when the daytime temp is warm enough wake them up and put them outside, even if its only for a short time. my male still finds a bush and goes to sleep BUT at least they're outside for a while. Some days they will nibble, one more than the other but only dandelions..
I struggled like this last year until october and thats when i started the wind down. then once november 8th came they went into hibernation until the middle of january. then they ate me out of house and home..
hope this makes you feel better
chatty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2008, 10:37 AM   #8
rachel30b
Sub Adult

have you ever had this tort checked for worms as this can make them sleepy/ sluggish

i have two horsefields one is so active and the other isnt he would sleep all day, if you put out on on the grass he just sits there for about half an hour even in the sun before he moves, the inactive one of mine will only eat outside as well

5 hermans, bob, frank, simpson, marmalade and johnson
rachel30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
Dazza
Adult

I agree the light levels have dropped dramatically with that the tortoises will perceive that as winter approaching so will begin to wind down.

I have had a few call recently from worried owners of lazy tortoises and as soon as the light levels had been raised the activity and feeding was back up to normal.

Do you have a picture of your set-up ?

What lighting do you use ?

Daz
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Dazza
Adult

Heres also a document i did veryu quickly to answer a specific question on one of the other forums, the only light on when this picture was taken was the tube, when the megaray comes on its great !

http://www.megaray.co.uk/downloads/t...7;20set-up.pdf

Might help explain a bit..

I have the light tubes in stock but not on the site hope to get them on in the nextr few days- they come in three sizes the 5 ft being the largest.

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horsfield, inactive, poorly