Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 13-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Suze65
Adult

She seems a little better this morning. My book arrived, and I was reading up about this, and it says that it's takes quite a lot of fluid to flush this sort of thing out, so I did it twice yesterday with plenty of warm saline ( with out drowning her) and steeming twice a day, and to day it seems much better, she not at all happy when she sees me coming, straight in her shell , so I feel quite mean, but I will keep this up for another week and then see where we are.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
NATURALIS
Adult

One problem with flushing the nares out is the infection is being pushed back in. One way of doing this is while holding its head , using your thumb pump it under its throat ( using abit of pressure) this will push any infection out . Baytril injections in the front leg @ 10 mgs per kg of tortoise weight over 10 days usually works . Baytril is an old generation drug but seems to work well in most cases of rns I've come across.
Old 13-05-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATURALIS View Post
One problem with flushing the nares out is the infection is being pushed back in. One way of doing this is while holding its head , using your thumb pump it under its throat ( using abit of pressure) this will push any infection out . Baytril injections in the front leg @ 10 mgs per kg of tortoise weight over 10 days usually works . Baytril is an old generation drug but seems to work well in most cases of rns I've come across.
Thanks Chris, I will try that. The trouble with Baytril is that vets are now reluctant to hand it out, but if this is no better by next week, I'm going to insist on trying it, because what ever they say about how they now diagnose these things, baytril does seems to work with RNS most of the time. Thanks for the advice.

Old 13-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think TK's should be allowed to administer Baytril. Back in the day the Vet use to just hand it out in a bottle and always had left over to use on another occasion.(mind you that's probably why we are where we are). Or as I said before surely someone could come up with an equivalent paracetemol rather than an antibiotic type drug which needs a vet. Arcadia Research !!! where are you ! CB
Old 13-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #15
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I think TK's should be allowed to administer Baytril. Back in the day the Vet use to just hand it out in a bottle and always had left over to use on another occasion.(mind you that's probably why we are where we are). Or as I said before surely someone could come up with an equivalent paracetemol rather than an antibiotic type drug which needs a vet. Arcadia Research !!! where are you ! CB
Your right Claire, they don't dish it out like they used to, so there's none left to share, and just give me a small bootle for a few doses, I would have to buy the whole bottle! But fingers crossed she seems a bit better today, but I've been here before !

Old 13-05-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
Jan W
Sub Adult

Not sure if this helps, but people at work have started taking hay fever medication. Very difficult to know if any link, but thought I would mention.

Hope all will be well.
Old 13-05-2016, 08:22 PM   #17
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Not sure if this helps, but people at work have started taking hay fever medication. Very difficult to know if any link, but thought I would mention.

Hope all will be well.
Thanks Jan, I think at this stage anything is possible, she has been better today, it's been a bit off and on this week, she seems better on the days she's been outside, maybe it's dust mights, when she's indoors.

Old 13-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Hi Suze one other thing which you may already be doing but I will mention anyway.

If you watch them you will see they wipe their nose on the top of their arms. You need to wipe this area with F10 to stop them keep reinfecting themselves.

Are you keeping her warmer overnight than usual too?

I can see the vets point of view trying other things first but it also works out very expensive for you the keeper. I hope she is soon better.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:00 AM   #19
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Hi Suze one other thing which you may already be doing but I will mention anyway.

If you watch them you will see they wipe their nose on the top of their arms. You need to wipe this area with F10 to stop them keep reinfecting themselves.

Are you keeping her warmer overnight than usual too?

I can see the vets point of view trying other things first but it also works out very expensive for you the keeper. I hope she is soon better.
Ah thanks Lynn, yes I have been wiping her legs with the F10, and I have bought a CHE for the night, it's a bit odd that it's just one nare and it's been a bit stop and start this week, I haven't looked at her yet this morning. I'll let you know how she is today. Thanks

Old 14-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #20
Suze65
Adult

She seems to be a lot lot better this morning, the worst nare is clear, but there is a tiny bit of wet on the nare that looked clear, maybe it wasn't totally clear, but fingers crossed soooooo much better , so I will continue with flushing and nebulising twice a day, and heat round the clock, until I am sure she has been completely clear for a few days, thanks all, it's been really interesting to read your comments and ideas, this is why this place is so great.