Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #31
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hello chaps, I would just like to set a few things streight for you, I am only here to support our hobby and will freely pass on advice to any keeper, I joined the forum by invitation, and have no desire to simply push product.

Yes I work for Arcadia, but I also spend a large part of my life writing for the worlds bird and reptile press, this isn't just business for me.

I appologise to anyone who may think these threads are cheap advertising but I assure you this isn't the intention, just a very excited reptile keeper who happens to have something very good,

We have also offered to sponsor ther forum and await a reply,

Please feel free to ask any questions, Arcadia related or not,

Have a great day

John courteney-smith
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #32
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

If I felt this was just a free ad then I wouldn't have approved the posts. I do feel that John is offering useful information and a chance to discuss the new bulbs.

There are plenty of other people here that advertise whether it's a product they endorse or simply telling other members about new things they've tried.

It's all good in my book
Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #33
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I wasn't plugging the 160w arcadia just because I got one given, it is because it's very good, so good that I have bought another one rather than a different make. Apart from that, Frances Baines had told me (well before that) that she was testing a new bulb by arcadia which was doing very well.

If someone asks 'what bulb?' I will say that I am happy with mine and have been unhappy with others I have had but people can decide themselves. Who knows, this may change, look at Megaray, they were going great then a blip but when I joined this forum everyone was saying Megaray were the best and most people bought them.

People were asking me questions about the arcadia 160w and the 100w which wasn't available at the time and I was having to relay the questions so I said feel free to join the forum and answer any hardware questions or advise of new stuff. There's nothing sinister in it at all
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
Kirkie
Adult

I've had a religious moment, two tubes mounted in a cross shape.

I talking about a 36 sq ft area, in the centre I could mount 2 four foot tubes in a cross shape. This might give me a circle of UVB of gradually diminishing intensity and also UVB free areas outside this where I can set up both non UVB and also higher intensity UVB basking spots.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
Kirkie
Adult

I've just tried it and the point at which the two tubes cross produced double the UVB reading of a single tube. Say your tube is mounted to produce 60uw/cm2 at ground level, you could get a 120uw/cm2 hotspot in the centre tapering away down the length of the tubes and the area between them. Bit like a dartboard shape, bullseye in the middle.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #36
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
I've just tried it and the point at which the two tubes cross produced double the UVB reading of a single tube. Say your tube is mounted to produce 60uw/cm2 at ground level, you could get a 120uw/cm2 hotspot in the centre tapering away down the length of the tubes and the area between them. Bit like a dartboard shape, bullseye in the middle.
Like it, pic please
Old 03-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #37
Kirkie
Adult

Woah woah woah. I've only tried it as a quick test, crossing two existing lamps. Crossing the lamps was either going to condense the UVB or end the known universe. Should be clear of vampires for a while tho.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
Kirkie
Adult

And I've lost me camera.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #39
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
And I've lost me camera.
Excuses excuses
Old 03-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #40
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Quote:
Just to give some figures, similar to what kirkie is saying, doubling up lamps obviously increases visible light and usable u.v, a reflector will give roughly the same results. It's all about the miracle of light, the pure power of light and the invisible wavelengths keep us all alive. From our testing a 6% or D3 T8 Arcadia lamp will give you about 35ish uw/cm2 with a reflector at 16 inches, the same lamp in high output T5 with a reflector in the same viv gives 145ish uw/cm2.

Perhaps I should try " crossing the beams" with these, very ghostbusters!!!

j
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote