Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 29-09-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
FinnGB
Hatchling

Default Advice wanted please

Hey guys wondering if any one has advice,

Our little family hasn't been on holiday or had a break for least 3 years, and now my life is sorting itself out, i wanna start.

only problem is our pets. before we had friends/family watch them but now we cant get anyone to do that so i was wondering what you guys do

we have;

a Labrador (kennels)
a Rabbit (next door neighbour)
2x torts NO IDEA
and a bearded dragon NO IDEA

i simply cannot trust anyone i know enough with my torts/dragon due to lighting and feeding. any ideas please.

It's a long shot, but i thought about asking my local reptile rescue center if they would look after my reptiles, if i provided food ect, and made a donation? good or bad idea?

thanks
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
EJ
Adult

The reptiles you can leave for a few weeks with no problem if they are healthy and have good weight. Give them a full waterbowl of water and feed them the day before your trip... no problem.

The mammals... find a kennel to board them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
Hey guys wondering if any one has advice,

Our little family hasn't been on holiday or had a break for least 3 years, and now my life is sorting itself out, i wanna start.

only problem is our pets. before we had friends/family watch them but now we cant get anyone to do that so i was wondering what you guys do

we have;

a Labrador (kennels)
a Rabbit (next door neighbour)
2x torts NO IDEA
and a bearded dragon NO IDEA

i simply cannot trust anyone i know enough with my torts/dragon due to lighting and feeding. any ideas please.

It's a long shot, but i thought about asking my local reptile rescue center if they would look after my reptiles, if i provided food ect, and made a donation? good or bad idea?

thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
kreacher
Sub Adult

I'm very lucky I have someone in my local town that comes to stay at my house when we go on holiday, simply because it's a clause of my dwa licence...however my local reptile shop do boarding and obviously they have the knowledge/equipment to look after them...they charge £2.50 a day for tortoises and £2.00 a day for lizards and snakes...where anouts do you live?
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
FinnGB
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreacher View Post
I'm very lucky I have someone in my local town that comes to stay at my house when we go on holiday, simply because it's a clause of my dwa licence...however my local reptile shop do boarding and obviously they have the knowledge/equipment to look after them...they charge £2.50 a day for tortoises and £2.00 a day for lizards and snakes...where anouts do you live?
WOW that's a bargain!! i live between Bedford and Milton Keynes.

EJ, would they be ok with no UV,heat then for 5 days? I knoew the torts could handle with little food, but its the beardie i fear for as he's onyl 3-4 months old. (Temps would be around 20degrees without any light)

many thanks
Old 29-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
kreacher
Sub Adult

The beardie would not do very well at all...maybe for a few days but not weeks...
kreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #6
TortoiseBea
Hatched

Send a message via Yahoo to TortoiseBea

A reptile shop near to me also boards reptiles for a fee of around £3 a day
Where abouts are you, as there might be a place that does this near to you
Old 29-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
EJ
Adult

The bearded dragon would probably be ok if it has enough fat stored but at that age I wouldn't recommend leaving it. An adult would be no problem at all. I've gotten away with worse but that's just me. Beardeds under a year are pretty delicate to boot.

Dropping the temperatures around 60 to 70 actually buys you time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
WOW that's a bargain!! i live between Bedford and Milton Keynes.

EJ, would they be ok with no UV,heat then for 5 days? I knoew the torts could handle with little food, but its the beardie i fear for as he's onyl 3-4 months old. (Temps would be around 20degrees without any light)

many thanks
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
SeeShell
Adult

Is there mabye someone on one of the reptile forums that lives near you and who could check in on them. You could reciprocate when they went on holiday. Just a thought. Might be worth a post?
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
FinnGB
Hatchling

I've just asked a reptile rescure place about 15 miles from me, and they said they dont offer this as a service, and that he knows a reptile shop, who would keep them back in the shop, away from people. so im hoping this might be a good start...feels like im getting somewhere now.

Stupid question,, please dont flame me...I doubt they will have tortoise tables, and will most likely have large viv type setups, will this be ok for 5 days for my 2 littleones?
Old 30-09-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
pagan queen
Adult

The breeder who sold me my tort said he goes away in the winter. Puts his torts in the fridge and away he goes.

I used to have a business where I boarded parrots. For £1.50 a day I supplied all the food and cleaned them out. It was surprising how many regulars I had. There are very few people who provide this kind of service other than for cats and dogs.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote