Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 AM   #91
anna m
Adult

Sad news about your tortoise
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #92
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

That's a terrible shame nicnic
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #93
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic View Post
Please feel free to ask anything. thanks
Hi Nicola,

Its difficult to know where to start. As you've said there doesn't seem to have been any visible sign of a problem with George. I know of a couple of people who have had a similar experience with young Hermanns. These tortoises came from the same source (I'm not allowed to ask where your George came from here but you can PM me).

As this post has been made under the "imported Hermanni - Warning" thread there is a possibility this could be the cause. Reading through a section of Holger Vetter's Hermanns book he writes that there are recorded cases of tortoises dying of the "Herpes virus" with no prior indications of a problem.

But this is only a possibility, without a post mortem you're not going to know. Hopefully one of the vet's who view this forum may be able to advise you on a course of action for your tortoises.

In regard to your article 10 queries, mine only have box 3 of section 18 ticked. Box 4- "were aquired in or introduced into the community in complicance with the provision of Regulations (EC) no 338/97" is unchecked for all of mine. Anyone know the reason this would be ticked for Nicola's tortoise????

I don't hold much faith in article 10's in regard to imported tortoises.
I'm in possession of a Hermanns, originally bought from a shop. Weighs over 200 Grams and has an SCL of 9.7 CM's. Sold to the original owner under a 2006 licence and thy only had him for a couple of months. Even given the differing growh rates of tortoises I find it hard to believe Floyd is 2 years old! This is him when I got him.

Last edited by Kirkie; 11-01-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #94
Kirkie
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I'm going to say something even though it is slightly offtopic the size of your 2006 isn't impossible Kirkie.. I have a 2006 Ibera that was bred by a friend of mine.. She is 3 is August.. her weight is 258g and her SCL is 10.3 cm..

Sorry to hear of your loss Nicola.
May have been on my imports soapbox a bit yesterday. The man I got him from was told by the shop that Floyd was "probably at least 3" whilst handing over the 2006 article 10 last year. Maybe he is just a big old unit.

Last edited by Kirkie; 12-01-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #95
Valerie
Hatched

It's also worth pointing out that not all tortoises from Slovenia will be ill.
Valerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #96
hermenn/parents
Egg

hi every1 im a new parent to 2 hermenn hachlings and ive noticed that 1 is more active than the other to the stage where come lunch time its still not come out so ive been digging him out from where its been burying then it stays out a lot before burying again have i got anything to worry about ive only had them 3days or am i doing wrong they are indoors in big tort table with a uva/uvb light topsoil/playsand mix three quaters and shreaded hemp on the above the other please is this right just want the best for my babies thanx for reading and hopefully replying
hermenn/parents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #97
Lolly8
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermenn/parents View Post
hi every1 im a new parent to 2 hermenn hachlings and ive noticed that 1 is more active than the other to the stage where come lunch time its still not come out so ive been digging him out from where its been burying then it stays out a lot before burying again have i got anything to worry about ive only had them 3days or am i doing wrong they are indoors in big tort table with a uva/uvb light topsoil/playsand mix three quaters and shreaded hemp on the above the other please is this right just want the best for my babies thanx for reading and hopefully replying
Hi! If you put your post in the health thread you get more response quickly.
Old 14-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #98
touie
Hatched

I have just taken an ill Slovenian tortoise to the vets today who the vet believes has either herpes or Myco : (
touie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #99
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

thats sad news .....im sure she or he will not be the last either, imports are a time bomb just waiting to happen ......I feel for you!!

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 07:09 PM   #100
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by touie View Post
I have just taken an ill Slovenian tortoise to the vets today who the vet believes has either herpes or Myco : (
Has the vet done any tests? He might be jumping the gun a bit. What makes him/her think it's not just RNS?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote