Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

I have plenty of photos to donate... but I have a problem with the title.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
I have plenty of photos to donate... but I have a problem with the title.
what, 2012?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
suttysue
Sub Adult

OOOPs sorry didnt read the techy stuff before i sent you some pics
Hope you get enough pics
sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

They are not being accepted below 1mb, I think that's just so that there is a cut off point and it's at 1mb to be on the safe side for image quality.

In reality, 1mb is no guarantee of image quality and you can often get a far superior print from an image at just a quarter of a megabyte. People often assume that the more megapixels a camera has, the better the image quality will be but that is completely wrong. Check out Ken's megapixel myth http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

Some professional printers actually reduce images from 300dpi to 250dpi as there is no visible difference and it gives a bigger image (less pixels per inch but the same amount in the image overall = a bigger photo).

The key to a better quality image is light, the lower the light, the poorer the image quality. The camera has to start cranking up the ISO in low light to compensate and that in turn creates 'noise' on the image which means a poorer quality image so, a 256kb image can be of a better quality than an 11mb image just because of light
Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
Beverley
Adult

Alan, I just have a kodak digital camera it is 12 megapixels.
What setting would I use on it to take the correct pic, would it be closeup ? I normally just keep it on auto and hope for the best lol
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
Alan, I just have a kodak digital camera it is 12 megapixels.
What setting would I use on it to take the correct pic, would it be closeup ? I normally just keep it on auto and hope for the best lol
Yes, usually Macro settings have a little tulip icon or flower of some sort. If you are close to the tort - probably up to 2 feet then yes Macro setting (or close up if that's what it's called on yours). It's important to focus correctly though by pressing the shutter button only halfway down untill you hear a bleep usually then press down fully. Usually there is some kind of focus point on the LCD screen that flshes then locks when focus is correct. Macro setting gives a sharp shot of a small area and the area surrounding that will be out of focus which makes the subject look sharp. Settings other than macro will give a focus which is the same from front to back.

If you have manual settings and can set the ISO yourself then the lowest ISO will give the best quality pic but the lower you go, the light needs to be good (sunny or very light). if you have a low ISO set and it's a dull day or late evening or indoors maybe then the shutter speed changes and needs to say open longer to allow enough light in to make the picture and then the pic can be blurred because you can't hold it steady enough. A flash cures that of course if it is turned on but sometimes flash photos are not great

Last edited by Alan1; 02-09-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
Beverley
Adult

Thanks Alan, I do have that tulip thingy lol not sure about the iso I don't think I can set it. You certainly know your way around a camera
Old 02-09-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
Thanks Alan, I do have that tulip thingy lol not sure about the iso I don't think I can set it. You certainly know your way around a camera
if you have the tulip thing then it doesn't matter about the ISO really as it will do it automatically. Not all the compact cameras have manual setting for ISO and shutter speeds etc. it might take a few shots to find the range too close/too far away when using that setting, usually about9 inches to about 2 feet but it can be closer sometimes
Old 12-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
Lisa McIntyre
Incubating

A follow up message from Sally to anyone who might of submitted a picture. Thanks if you did.

A big thank you to everyone who has sent photos over the last couple of weeks. I have an inbox full of new photos to sort through and catalogue, and then we will get going.

So, I am now closing submissions. I will respond to each of you that has sent photos in the last couple weeks as soon as I can over the coming week, and will confirm on the list when i have completed this. In case you sent photos, but don't get an acknowledgment, give me a week or so to go through everything, then once I have announced on list I am done, you can contact me if you photos were missed.

We will announce the sale of the Calendar usually around November time - so watch this space

Thanks again to everyone for contributing. Here's to another splendid Tortoisefriends (2012) Calendar.

Sally
Lisa McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I can't remember if I posted this on here once before or on a photography forum but anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen this and would like to be able to take photos that are always in focus then you might be interested in this new camera available soon http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ne/9568340.stm