Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 18-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
tortoiseuk
Hatched

Gordon u can put them in the greenhouse, make sure the soil is bone dry, no water and make sure the temperatures don't stay negative for a long time, they should do fine.
0.0.1 testudo kleinmanni
1.1.0 testudo hermanni boetgeri
tortoiseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
Gordon
Adult

Thanks for that i think they will be staying in the greenhouse as i have loads of them
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #13
suttysue
Sub Adult

Default Advice on propergation.

Hi your Oportuni look fab, well done. Do you think you could pass on some advise on how to proper gate them as I have this year tried to propergate my own to feed to my torts but nothing seems to have happened they are just sat there In the plastic greenhouse.
I am sure there are more people as well as me wanting help.
Thank you
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
Hi your Oportuni look fab, well done. Do you think you could pass on some advise on how to proper gate them as I have this year tried to propergate my own to feed to my torts but nothing seems to have happened they are just sat there In the plastic greenhouse.
I am sure there are more people as well as me wanting help.
Thank you
Sue
Treat them mean.
If you take a pad off the plant, leave to dry for a week, then put into a pot of dry soil and leave. It can take a while for you to see when growth starts. Just be patient.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
Gordon
Adult

I don't do anything special with mine i have tried all sorts of ways to kill them, i have planted pads on their sides,upside down even cut a pad into lots of little bits and every one has grown.
The only problem i have are snails seem yo like them
Old 19-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
suttysue
Sub Adult

Just a thought ? Would it be possible for you to compile a full list of the Cacti you can feed to our shelled friends.? And a list of the succulents you can feed them.
I always look at cacti and succulents available at our local garden centre but never dare buy any just incase they are the wrong ones to feed. It would most appreciated
Tusks
Sue
Old 19-09-2014, 08:22 AM   #17
sandy
Adult

I have only ever grown the very large pads, as they have far less spines. Although you still have to be careful:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #18
tortoiseuk
Hatched

Hi Sue, there is a magnific list of cacti and succulents on the tortoisetable page! but resuming it you can feed (in moderation ofcourse as they all have laxative effects if in excess), opuntias, aloes, hotentot figs, sedums, agaves, gasterias, christmas/easter cactus, etc..

Regarding the propagation the easiest way is just like sandy advised, you get some cuttings/pads and leave them for a week or two to dry or maybe even more now in the cold weather, until a dry calous form in the end of the pad.
Then you stick it 2/3 down or even halfway down on soil/top soil, even better if done in top soil mixed with gravel for better drainage and you do not water it for a least 1 month or until you see some new growth forming. and when roots established and new pads present you water them only once every 2 weeks on the summer and in the winter very very rarely, only if you see the soil is bone dry or if you see the pads starting to shrink a bit (sign of dehidration).
In the summer you can do the propagation outside if proper hot and not very rainy. in the cold months this first stage I do it indoors, either on my growhouses (greenhouses) or even under the lights of my tortoise tables.

I have a few more spectacular opuntias I acquired since my original post gonna post some update photos soon. this is turning into it another addiction besides keeping them for tortoise food

regards everyone
0.0.1 testudo kleinmanni
1.1.0 testudo hermanni boetgeri
tortoiseuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseuk View Post
Hi Sue, there is a magnific list of cacti and succulents on the tortoisetable page! but resuming it you can feed (in moderation ofcourse as they all have laxative effects if in excess), opuntias, aloes, hotentot figs, sedums, agaves, gasterias, christmas/easter cactus, etc..

Regarding the propagation the easiest way is just like sandy advised, you get some cuttings/pads and leave them for a week or two to dry or maybe even more now in the cold weather, until a dry calous form in the end of the pad.
Then you stick it 2/3 down or even halfway down on soil/top soil, even better if done in top soil mixed with gravel for better drainage and you do not water it for a least 1 month or until you see some new growth forming. and when roots established and new pads present you water them only once every 2 weeks on the summer and in the winter very very rarely, only if you see the soil is bone dry or if you see the pads starting to shrink a bit (sign of dehidration).
In the summer you can do the propagation outside if proper hot and not very rainy. in the cold months this first stage I do it indoors, either on my growhouses (greenhouses) or even under the lights of my tortoise tables.

I have a few more spectacular opuntias I acquired since my original post gonna post some update photos soon. this is turning into it another addiction besides keeping them for tortoise food

regards everyone
We would love to see pics of the others you have.
As for keeping them for tortoise food im not sure why i go through the misery of those very annoying little spikes stuck in me everywhere when NON of my fussy tortoises will eat them
Old 19-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
suttysue
Sub Adult

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseuk View Post
hi sue, there is a magnific list of cacti and succulents on the tortoisetable page! But resuming it you can feed (in moderation ofcourse as they all have laxative effects if in excess), opuntias, aloes, hotentot figs, sedums, agaves, gasterias, christmas/easter cactus, etc..

Then you stick it 2/3 down or even halfway down on soil/top soil, even better if done in top soil mixed with gravel for better drainage and you do not water it for a least 1 month or until you see some new growth forming. And when roots established and new pads present you water them only once every 2 weeks on the summer and in the winter very very rarely, only if you see the soil is bone dry or if you see the pads starting to shrink a bit (sign of dehidration).
In the summer you can do the propagation outside if proper hot and not very rainy. In the cold months this first stage i do it indoors, either on my growhouses (greenhouses) or even under the lights of my tortoise tables.

I have a few more spectacular opuntias i acquired since my original post gonna post some update photos soon. This is turning into it another addiction besides keeping them for tortoise food

regards everyone
just wanted to say thanks for all this info i will be giving them a serious coat of looking at next summer
great help
thanks
sue