Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Clearest
Egg

Default New hermanns tortoise?

Recently got a baby hermann tortoise around one year old, I have the correct set up, tortoise table and combine uv and basking light and water dish and also slate to feed on. I guess he's nervous and won't come out to eat for awhile as he's in his hide at the minute. Is it okay when my water dish is cold, seems like a silly question but can they drink/bath in it when cold as it could down in a matter of minutes when it was warm. Il give him a separate bath once a day in warm water so I think it's okay. What's a good diet aswell? Dandelions and lettuce? Where is the best place to find weeds and flowers in winter? Sorry if these questions seem slightly stupid but thanks
Clearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Suze65
Adult

Have a look here for info about diet
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearest View Post
Recently got a baby hermann tortoise around one year old, I have the correct set up, tortoise table and combine uv and basking light and water dish and also slate to feed on. I guess he's nervous and won't come out to eat for awhile as he's in his hide at the minute. Is it okay when my water dish is cold, seems like a silly question but can they drink/bath in it when cold as it could down in a matter of minutes when it was warm. Il give him a separate bath once a day in warm water so I think it's okay. What's a good diet aswell? Dandelions and lettuce? Where is the best place to find weeds and flowers in winter? Sorry if these questions seem slightly stupid but thanks
Not stupid questions at all. It shows you care about giving your little one the best as suze has said, take a look at the link.

I can collect, dandelion, sow thistle, chickweed, mallow, plantain at the moment as there is still plenty around, I give them a good wash and put them in bags in the fridge x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
Clearest
Egg

Thankyou. Finding it very hard to find anything but dandelion leaves but i'll keep searching
Clearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Thankyou. Finding it very hard to find anything but dandelion leaves but i'll keep searching
You can try feeding Florette crispy salad leaves or pellets.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

From my experience (1 year old) hatchlings do drink from their dish cold or not - the heat warms it up massively anyway. I have tops of margerine tubs in my set up and they sit in them. One of mine sits in it as soon as it is filled up. Some drink more than others. I only bathed my 1 year olds once a week. I also spray their food with water which has been sat at room temperature in a mister and top up their margerine tub tops with it too. Some like to soak others avoid it. Hope that helps a little. I make sure they put on weight, that is one of the key things and not too much too soon. Bags of rocket are good as is foods that have a smell subject to the list on the link - might encourage eating
Old 30-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
Luckyjim
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
You can try feeding Florette crispy salad leaves or pellets.
Agree about the Florette Crispy - they especially enjoy the raddiccio, and it's quite fibrous too.

But pellets are as controversial as ever, I suspect. It really depends what's in them.

I've just rescued a distorted hermanns - not too pyramided, but the top scutes caved in, and generally a funny shape - absolutely typical of a viv. kept animal. Never been hibernated. CHE instead of basking light. Kept on wood chips. Had been given some weeds, but mainly fed on Komodo Dandelion Flavour Pellets. Main ingredients of which are Oats, Beet Pulp, Maize...not what tortoises are designed to eat. Poor thing.
Old 30-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #8
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Bittercress is abundant in the Winter, so check the picture out on www.tortoises.net

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

Agree with Sandy, I have quite a lot of bittercress in the garden right now. And there is always some narrow plantain hiding in corners!