Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
FinnGB
Hatchling

Default Our kitten thinks our lab is her mum..

hey there

My mrs got a 8-9week old kitten last week, and is now getting on fine with my lab. Although today the kitten has started to suck the nipples of my dog.

Any ideas would this could mean?

I kitten has eaten loads today and eats her food fine. My lab cleans the kitten and they sleep together, the kitten it all over the dog play fighting ect. I'll have to get a pic next time its so cute, they are both pure black so at first i couldn't see the kitten.

I think i will buy some kitten milk. i read that the kitten probably wasn't weaned properly .
Rick

Last edited by FinnGB; 12-11-2010 at 10:37 PM.
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
joanna
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
hey there

My mrs got a kitten last week, and is now getting on fine with my lab. Although today the kitten has started to suck the nipples of my dog.

Any ideas would this could mean?

I kitten has eaten loads today and eats her food fine

My lab cleans the kitten and they sleep together, the kitten it all over the dog play fighting ect.

I'll have to get a pic next time its so cute, they are both pure black so at first i couldn't see the kitten.

Rick

How old is the kitten? I remember watching a vet programme about a cat that had done this since a kitten but chose her owners nipples Yes everytime he got home and stripped out of his work overalls the cat attached!!

Apparentley, the vet said it is even more crucial with cats than dogs that they don't leave their mum early. He recommended no eariler than 12 weeks as if leaving eariler some find it very hard to loose the suckling behaviour.

The guy on the programme had to spray his nipples with bitter spray for a period of time, it worked in the end!!
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
TortBabe
Adult

Aww, how sweet Its so nice they seem to be getting along would love to see pictures
Old 13-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
FinnGB
Hatchling

The cat was thought to be 8 weeks old ish, the woman who had them wasn't 100% sure on the age(i don't know why, its a pretty simple and important date to remember).

The kitten doesn't do it all the time, but we have seen it twice now over the the past day or 2. I suppose its better than them fighting We are going to buy some kitten milk today to try temp her off the boob. My dog wont stop following her around licking her bless, she rolls on her back and lets the kitten climb all over her tugging her ears and chasing her tails.

Rick
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Torterra
Sub Adult

Nice they are both happy. My cat was sucking her wrist all life, she purred and suck as a child would suck a thumb. Was a bit of a pain when she used to settle on my knees, clawing me purring and sucking her paw. She was taken from Mother too early, and was rescued by some of my friends one cold autumn evening, long ago. Possibly her mother was a stray cat.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote