Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-04-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Wolflore
Egg

Default Power Sun v Solarglo

Is the Power Sun combined lamp worth the extra £20 over the Solarglo one?

I'm in a bit of a predicament as to which one to buy, especially with Aracadia promising one soon too.

Help!!
Wolflore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

probably for the length of time they will produce useful UVB but have you read this http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourf...zoomedpowersun
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Wolflore
Egg

Hi,

Yes, I have read that before, and again now. The issues with the 160w concern me slightly, but most people on here seem to recommend it over the 100w. And I can see the benefits of the Megaray but I'm not sure that I want to risk the reliability issues.

This is my quandry. So do I buy the 100 or the 160w?
Old 27-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know that there are any different issues with the 160w Powersun compared to the 100w, as far as I'm led to believe they are both dangerous to the animals' health but I'm not 100% sure on that. I was given this infor from UV Guide a few months ago..

Quote:
The Powersun lamps used to have a very low output for mercury vapour lamps; but at the beginning of this year (2009), they suddenly changed the specs and thinned the front phosphor coating considerably. This certainly increased the UVB output enormously, but for some reason it disproportionately increased the shorter-wavelength UVB and I started hearing reports of photo-kerato-conjunctivitis in reptiles under these lamps. I wrote a preliminary message about this on the website. ZooMed have told me they will be reverting to the older specs, but to date I don't think they have done so, so at the moment I am reluctant to remove my advice regarding caution with their use.

Arcadia will be launching a 160W mercury vapour lamp in the spring. The prototypes I have tested for this were very promising
However, if you intend buying one the 160w will produce much more heat so if you have a small table then 100w would be fine but if it's a large one of maybe 5ft then the 160w may be better
Old 27-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Wolflore
Egg

Hmmm,

You're not helping my dilemma much! Haha

So, do I sit and wait for the Arcadia...all very interesting indeed, and a tad scary...
Old 27-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

I would read all the other posts about the MV bulbs and make a decision based on that. You are right, MRs (at the moment) are a bit unreliable. Soon they will be bringing back in the 100w ones - as at the moment they are only doing the 120w which i think have caused problems.
As Alan said, neither are great for the UV output, but think of it as a temporary measure, just until MR get their problems sorted - and also with the weather picking up, they can get outside and have the real thing.
Also consider separates - a good strip and a halogen - again, just as a temporary measure until the big guns get their bulbs in order. I would not think of any of them (exception the new arcadia bulb when its out) as solid, for long term - the UVguide report shows this. But for now, it could be fine. Good luck Wolflore xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Wolflore
Egg

I might just go for the cheaper option of the Solarglo for now then and spend my money when Arcadia get sorted. As you said, and lacking on the UVB side can be topped up with actual sunlight at the moment.

It isn't an easy decision to make. Every option is a bigish outlay for something that may well not be doing what you pay for.
Old 27-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have one solarglo 125w left still going and the UVB it is producing is below what's required but at least it is still working. If you can get them cheap enough then it might be the best option for now. I paid around £42 for mine at the time though and they are not worth that.

There is no cast iron guarantee that the Arcadia will be perfect either based on the testing of one or two, we are just hoping
Old 27-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Wolflore
Egg

Well, the table is about 5 x 3.5ft, probably a little bigger. Would it be worth going for the 160w? I know it is probably a matter of opinion but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers for everyones help.
Old 27-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #10
Wolflore
Egg

Well, I've just found them on eBay - the 125 and 160w - for £29.99 delivered. I guess they'll do for now. I'm thinking the 125 should be enough as it is warming up somewhat now anyway?