Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 04-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
abee_fell_
Hatched

Default Yet another bulb gone!

Hi everyone and happy Easter,
woke up this morning to find another heat bulb blown - I'd gone back the Exo Terra Sunglo 100W no more than 6 weeks ago, after having 2 halogen Exo Terras thinking they'd last longer and just give off a nicer light really!

Could it be that there's something wrong with my thermostat making the bulbs blow, or is it just bad luck?
x
abee_fell_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I take it they are just basking bulbs to provide heat and not UVB? Not sure how long they are meant to last but you might be as well getting the ordinary halogen ones from B+Q or somewhere
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
abee_fell_
Hatched

Oh really? I've thought about doing that for ages but wasn't sure if it'd work. I've got for a 100W halogen extro terra today as was only £1 more than the sunglo 100W see how long this one lasts. Yeah I use just the basking as have a UV strip which goes along the whole enclosure .
Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I personally think halogen lamps are basically the same so I don't buy those sold by reptile suppliers. The one I am using now is a 75Watt sylvania halogen flood- these lamps last a very long time and do not cost very much.

My tortoises certainly like to sit under this lamp. They prefer to sit near that rather than the megaray when both are on at the same time. I don't know why because both are heat sources.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Kirkie pointed out this one to me. I'm going to use it if I have to change to strip lights for UVB. I got it from B+Q and was £5.98, this one is £3.43 but then postage http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/51107-80w...318179-ge.html it is 80w but says it puts out light and heat of a 100w. fits into my exo terra glo light lamp holder and is the same size as a mega ray
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
abee_fell_
Hatched

That is good Alan thanks for that, I shall probably stock up on bulbs from now on as they seem to go at the most inconvenient times!
Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #7
gruffalo
Egg

Alan can I just ask how you can tell from the description that it fits the exo terra glo light holder? I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the wording!
gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I personally think halogen lamps are basically the same so I don't buy those sold by reptile suppliers. The one I am using now is a 75Watt sylvania halogen flood- these lamps last a very long time and do not cost very much.

My tortoises certainly like to sit under this lamp. They prefer to sit near that rather than the megaray when both are on at the same time. I don't know why because both are heat sources.
Jon that is the same make of my halogen and mine is a 50w. I dont think there is any difference - except price - with these bulbs.
I just did a search on the internet and got mine. I also wanted a flood and not a spot - i could not find the right wattage, screw fitting and a flood at B&Q. Only a spot.
Lily likes this being on, i only have it on for 2 spells in the day - first thing till about 11.45am then at 4.00pm.
I twiddle with the timers each time the temps change outside.
I remember before Jon, you advising me about the timings and the set up!
Thanks for getting me to the place im at now!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #9
abee_fell_
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruffalo View Post
Alan can I just ask how you can tell from the description that it fits the exo terra glo light holder? I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the wording!
the exo terra glo light holder is a screw fitting as are most ceramic holders that you buy from reptile shops - so any halogen or standard bulb will fit this, if it doesn't then I guess you can always exchange it at the DIY shop you buy it from.

On a slightly related subject... what will happen to heat bulbs and the like when this about banning certain household bulbs comes into full effect?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Lyn
Adult

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/51107-80w...318179-ge.html I have the Zoo Med Deep Dome lamp fixture. Would this bulb you have mentioned fit this as I may order one?
I have a separate UV tube.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote