Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 25-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
brodi
Egg

Default Another cites question

This is question for anyone who has brought back cites listed torts from europe.

I have 2 THH coming back next month, just wondering although the torts will have cites papers in my name and address does this mean the guy thats collecting them will have any probs because they are not in his name and do I have to sign anything before the torts are collected in terms of cites paperwork

and 1 last question, all that is required to bring the torts in is the cites documents, do I need to do anything else or inform any goverment body or port etc

many thanks neil
brodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I would have thought if the paperwork is in order anyone can collect.
Old 25-02-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
brodi
Egg

thats my thoughts also, but dont want torts gettin taken off the guys because they are not in his name
Old 25-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know the answer but for anyone who does, do you mean when the guy collects them in Europe to bring to you or when the guy collects them from you?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
brodi
Egg

I mean the guy who collects in europe, he will have cites listed animals in my name not his
Old 25-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

If they are in your name/holder on the certs you become the importer, if you send a courier to collect them, they may have to have there ID, your ID. As the tort's belong to you. I have not read before of anyone importing there own tort, as said you become as in Box 1 of the cert, Holder/Breeder, your name. That would mean you could sell them on technicaly.
Old 25-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I know what your saying Rach, but if kept cool and have room, air, they should simply go to sleep the whole journey. Good point though if it was a summer journey, then that could be very stressing for them.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

If any consolation they are coming by road and ferry, from an early post, they should be supervised all the way.
Old 25-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
Kirkie
Adult

I'd have thought the CITES article 10 would be in the sellers name, not yours. If they are hatchling tortoises, they will be on Single Transaction Certificates and the sellers name must be in box 1, not the receivers. If they are over 10cm's coming in on a specimen specific certificate be very careful. If these are coming from Germany, until recently they allowed photography in place of microchipping, this has now been reneged as a means of identifying a tortoise by EU CITES and you will have fun and games with UK CITES trying to switch them over to your name if you decide to register them (for selling offspring or reselling).
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
brodi
Egg

They are hatchling torts nowhere near 10 cm, leaving germany about 5-6pm and arriving in ireland next morning all being well.

They will be well looked after, the guys that are taking them have been transporting reps for years I have full confidence in them and no issues using them, but you could of asked about the transport yuna instead of statements like 'i seen airport programmes'.

These little guys will be better treated and have a better journey that the humans taking them.

Animals do get transported, its a necessary fact of life in terms of keeping torts and any animal in general, what about If I was to drive over from ireland to someone in the south of england to get an animal, because they are going to be in a car for a few hours travel does that make it cruel.

Dont mean to go on there but I have tried to get around this issue in a number of other ways to no avail, I have been researching torts and in particular THH for well over a year and still have not rushed out and impulse bought 1, this was the most practical way and tbh the safest way to have them brought over by people I know will look after them.
I could have bought THH from a certain internet dealer located in south of england but I havent.

This was started as a thread on cites not the ethics or morality in transporting torts.