Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 13-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Gaelle
Incubating

Default Tortoise Intelligence?

Hi there

I've only had Tilly a few days but I keep marvelling at her. For some reason, I didn't expect much from a Tortoise, I was more interested in the challenge and looking after side of things. But I'm amazed at how responsive and active they actually are. It makes me wonder about their actual intelligence. I'm particularly amazed at the way she reacts to her environment, her curiosity etc...
For example, today, she's been basking most of the time. Had a little walk around the block, a drink in the pool and again some basking. She just laid there quite a while while I was on the computer. Then, as I got up to take the dogs out, she looked up too and started moving towards me. She obviously reacted to the movement of me getting up and moving around her table. I was so impressed! I put my hands near her and she started moving towards it and let me scratch her head! Bless!
I don't know why she moved towards me in the first place, whereas she was just curious or whether she'd been conditioned by her previous owner (maybe feeding time?), but she is anything but the passive reptile I thought she may be! I always thought reptiles didn't interact with their keepers... How lovely.

Also, it made me think that she used to be kept with 2 other babies roughly her size, and I'm wondering whether she may be lonely and so seems to be attracted to things moving around her as they may be her former little friends?...

sorry long post!
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Mine are like that. I think they just associate me with food though. So thats why i think they react to me with running over to me as quickly as possible.
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Food is probably the main attraction, mine in the pen come running now, during the day, if i open one of the lids to move something or refill water. But pics on here of how they have worked out an escape route is amazing.
Paul
Old 13-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
tartaruga amore
Sub Adult

i have been sharing my home with my torts for years, and like all long lived animals i do believe they have a high level of intelligence

the other night, by accident i left one of my torts out overnight { first time in 25yrs }, i did not even miss him, till i wondered who had let him out next day
anyhow, the next day, come 4 oclock all my torts gathered at the door, word had got round and all were worried they were going to be out in the cold
certain ones also come when called, nothing to do with food lol cos they dont get none for coming!!
tartaruga amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Gaelle
Incubating

Oh wow, really? That's amazing!

Anybody else got any anecdotes about their torts' intelligence?
Gaelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Rowan
Sub Adult

Hi! (i'm new) One of mine has learnt that if I place my hand inside his indoor encloser palm upwards he will climb on as he knows it's time to go outside. If however I do it when it's time to go back, outside to inside he runs a mile!!!!
Yea I think they know but just don't let on too much!

Row
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
shellonia
Sub Adult

I've always found the males are most responsive and positively like to interact with their keepers.It's really very cute the way they run,yes run towards you.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #8
yuna1971
Adult

I have always thought that they have more intelligence than we give them credit for, how else would they be able to survive, regulate their temperature according, and also sort of become a barometer! Hell, sometimes when Lily doesnt come out in the morning - I kind of get the warning that it could be a bit chilly out, when he was scooting about in May/June time - the weather was warm and sunny. But they seem to have this sixth sense, and I am sure they cotton on to words and gestures that we do or keep doing.
Lily doesnt just run to me with food, quite the opposite - he will quite regularly come and snuggle into me when I am playing or led out on the living room floor, he burrows into my arm and sometimes flips himself round so his head is by my chin...and we just stare at eachother. I can send him to sleep by smoothing his shell and during last winter (didnt hibernate) - I would sit on the floor and have a small hand towel in my hand, after lifting up the towel - when he was ready to sleep ..would come over to me go under the towel and allow me to smooth his shell and completely drift off to sleep. Then I would carry him to bed, and he would softly go off.
I have had the cuddly tort "girlies" out and he knows which is which. YEP, knows which one is Alice and which one is Dolly. (I would keep them in 2 different areas) I would say "go and see Alice then Lily (name Lily as thought it was female but its male!)" ...off he would trot and go directly to the RIGHT one which was Alice. Same for Dolly..."go and see Dolly" - off he would trot to Dolly. I have also said "go to your bowl then Lily" and no word of a lie, (and i have been sat on the couch in the living room, mother has witnessed this) he has gone to his bowl. This happens all the time.
I think they recognise certain sounds. I think they must have had this in the wild - hell, if you think the sorts of predators that would be about - and they probably knew to hide in their shells or something. They just would not have survived if they didnt.
So yes...I think they are uber-intelligent and I enjoy every minute of the time Lily is around me. As you can see by my pic by my name - not exactly a shy tort is he! That was with a mobile phone!! Also loves my make up mirror when its on the floor and very often just stands there - head moving from left ..then slow to right - its like checking himself out. Such a poser!! lol

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #9
naomij
Incubating

i guess mine must be all a little thick compared to some on here....... none of mine know there names, i could call or say anything and get the same reaction from all, they may decide to come over to me, esp when then want food. infact i think thats the only reason lol lol
even my taylor the poorly one who i hand rear much more than the others outside, they are handled just for bathing and putting back in there shed at night. Taylor acts no different to the ones less handled im afraid.....
naomij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Naomij, maybe try and get more up close and personal. Spend more time with them, mess about. Or like me...buy a cuddly tort and see the reaction...I didnt know what a butt was until Lily started chasing it and butting it like a madman when I first got one of the girly cuddly torts..lol. Or a mirror maybe?? I wonder what all yours would do when coming face to face with another lot looking right at them...
...just a few little ideas but I reckon they just want more time with you - perhaps not just at feeding time - as stated before torts are creatures of habit and maybe that is what they associate you with as its the main times they see you.
Course...I am no expert. I only tell you this, as its what its like with me and Lily. I just love spending time with him. So he doesnt just know me for food, he will easily come and trot over to me when I have no food, just to say hello or climb on my lap or arm and get down again...its just his ways now. xxx Is taylor any better - i remember your thread the other day.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote