Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #1
sydney
Egg

Default Sudden change of behaviour in young Horsfield

Hello,

About 3 or 4 days ago i noticed a drastic change of behaviour with my 07 Horsfield which has started to worry me slightly.

For a start, he hasn't eaten anything at all since Thursday, and i haven't seen a poo since around Friday either. If i try to hand feed him he turns his head away. I understand that this can happen from time to time especially this time of year, but he in a tort table indoors with 33 degrees under his lamp (around 20 degrees at cool end). Until now i've been giving him baths twice a week but as of now will up that to every other day in order to get him eat.
I will try reptiboost later this week when i recieve it.

His usual daily routine until now has been, sleep, bask, sleep, eat, bask, sleep...from 8.30am til around 4pm. And he's never really taken much notice of us.
But now, he wont stay still. He walks, climbs up rocks etc, walks, climbs, climbs more, and won't stay still until either my partner or I put him in our hand after work, then he lays restful and enjoys a good fuss (usually he would want to be put straight back down to explore). As soon as we put him back in his enclosure, he tries frantically to get back out again. His UV lamp will be on from 8.30am til 8.30pm but can be trying to climb up the sides til 10pm on some evenings.

While this is quite nice that he is becoming quite affectionate you could say, i'm worried that maybe something isn't right and he's stressed/panicked about something...? All this time he's not eating but is drinking plenty when bathed. Even when he walks around now, his head is lifted high in the air whereas before it wasn't...
It's almost as if he's just learnt that he's able to climb and is now trying to climb up anything and everything, and therefore forgot that he needs to eat.

Could anyone shed any light on this? He must be exhausted surely? Or am i just being an over worrying new parent Ooops sorry for this very long message...

Brad.

Last edited by sydney; 09-12-2008 at 12:40 PM.
sydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
sydney
Egg

I'm pretty sure the size is this; (without being at home i'm unable to double check)

Base Size : 39.25 x 22 x 6 inch (100 x 56 x 15 cm)

Picture of his actual enclosure below.

Currently the substrate a mixture of 50/50 bark and wood chippings. Deeper in some areas as he likes to dig.
I do plan on changing that to 50/50 top soil/sand this weekend after some recommendations on this forum.

Although i'm not sure if that will stress him any more if i change it with the way he is at the moment...?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The substrate change should be just fine. I though would go with a 70/30 mix of soil to sand.

Danny
Old 09-12-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Oddbod
Egg

I might be way off the mark and i am not sure how depth perception works in torts but the black paint may be altering his depth perception (eg. he thinks he can reach beyond the black) and that is why he is attempting to climb out.

It may be useful to break the black background up slightly ?
Oddbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #5
Sylvia1
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod View Post
I might be way off the mark and i am not sure how depth perception works in torts but the black paint may be altering his depth perception (eg. he thinks he can reach beyond the black) and that is why he is attempting to climb out.

It may be useful to break the black background up slightly ?
You may well have a point. If the black is reflective, he could be seeing a reflection of his enclosure believing it to be somewhere he can reach, hence constantly trying to get to it?

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Dragonfire1
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobynev View Post
You may well have a point. If the black is reflective, he could be seeing a reflection of his enclosure believing it to be somewhere he can reach, hence constantly trying to get to it?
One of my horsfields exhibits the same type of behaviour - we are overwintering her this year, and she regularly tries to climb the walls of her box! Box walls are white (non-reflective)...

I just put it down to the fact that horsfields are apparently reknowned for their love of climbing! ...And the fact that she wants to get out onto the living room floor, for a good ol' wander around!

Helen
Dragonfire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Sylvia1
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire1 View Post
One of my horsfields exhibits the same type of behaviour - we are overwintering her this year, and she regularly tries to climb the walls of her box! Box walls are white (non-reflective)...

I just put it down to the fact that horsfields are apparently reknowned for their love of climbing! ...And the fact that she wants to get out onto the living room floor, for a good ol' wander around!

Helen
Perhaps yours has x-ray eyes and see beyond it's enclosure!

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
sydney
Egg

I think that's a very valid point about the black walls, especially as Sydney rarely attempts to climb out within the brown wooden box area where his UV/heat is. I will do as you've mentioned and try and break the background up a bit.

Helen, as you've rightly said, they do love to climb and maybe that is the sole reason the behavior. Sydney may have just discovered his skill/passion for climbing in which case i'm just worrying. lol

But most definately, i'll be changing the substrate this weekend so he can have more fun digging.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated
Old 09-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
sydney
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobynev View Post
X-ray eyes?? lol. Wow, if he does i'd like to borrow them at some point.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #10
Dragonfire1
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loobynev
Hehe - I bet she wishes she had! More likely she has her favourite spots in the living room (under the curtains, next to the radiator hot feed under the floor, etc ) and just wants to get out to them!
Her indoor enclosure is possibly a little boring for her at the moment, it was going to get remodelled this winter while she was asleep (she had other ideas about that!), I'll just have to rebuild it around her instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney
Helen, as you've rightly said, they do love to climb and maybe that is the sole reason the behavior. Sydney may have just discovered his skill/passion for climbing in which case i'm just worrying. lol
They seem to have quite a skill for both digging AND climbing! We had one tort (many years ago) who would regularly be found inside the wire enclosure of the compost heap - it took us AGES to figure out how she was getting in there!
Dragonfire1 is offline   Reply With Quote