Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #21
Fred123
Hatched

Thanks Pussygalore. you are right that owners do have to leave house keys to access the tortoise, as they do for daily dog walks or any animal holiday care. That is why we are DBS checked, but appreciate that not everyone would feel at ease leaving their keys. I guess its the same with any service such as a cleaner etc.

Thanks Mary, that's really positive feedback. I agree. Our pets are a huge part of our life and their well being is always paramount, however we have kids and want them to experience the world and have fun. So a service like this would be a blessing for us. Good to know others are doing it elsewhere.
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
CherryBrandy
Adult

I can't imagine pet sitting a tarantula....I couldn't even look at one let alone get near it. what if it got out ....and ate the budgie. or stuck its fangs into granny.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #23
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I can't imagine pet sitting a tarantula....I couldn't even look at one let alone get near it. what if it got out ....and ate the budgie. or stuck its fangs into granny.
That could be a win win situation
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #24
CherryBrandy
Adult

Ha that's really funny. I use to taunt my poor old granny with a hideous rubber spider on elastic when she was going up the stairs, or put it on her hot water bottle in the bed, but I am reformed now ! She lived to a ripe 'ol age too, but that was probably the guinness.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
Daryn
Hatchling

I think its a great thing for some peeps and not for others. I would certainly give it a try. Maybe visit a exotic pet club, maybe start your own exotic pet club so people get to know you first. A meet up once a month in a bar, church hall etc. That way people will get to know you, give talks, let them know you know what you are doing people will then feel more confident, who knows maybe people that have not had a holiday in years will feel they actually have someone they can trust now and go away and happy to pay you to look after their pets.

Me personally I wouldnt have someone look after mine unless I knew them or knew something about them. Im lucky my brother-in-law looks after mine, he has learnt everything from me and in turn I look after their pets as Ive learnt everything from them, it works great. Bu if I were a member of such a club then you never know if I was stuck.

So their you go, a bit business tip for free lol, start a specific monthly pet club. You could have several, a dog club, exotic petclub another day once a month etc.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #26
vikki
Hatched

I do think it is a good idea - I ended up taking my two on holiday with me after being let down by my lovely sister who decided to book a last minute holiday and "forgot" she was looking after the tortoises and lovebird so they had to come (along with the 2 dogs!). I had previously contacted a company who claimed to be able to look after all kinds of animals (including tortoises) in your own home, my idea was to put the lamp on a timer and have one "professional" visit a day to bath and feed torts and feed bird - great until they quoted £15.00 a day for what would have probably taken 15-30minutes max. I know people running buisnesses have a lot of overheads and costs but this was a very local company (1/2 mile up road) and the cost was just too hard to justify at an extra £100 for a weeks hols. Fortunatley they all seemed to cope fine and were active and eating and gained weight (perhaps the lake district air agreed with them!!). I know it wasn't the most ideal taking them with me but having weighed up any alternatives it seemed the best option where I could keep an eye on them myself. So yes it is a good idea but try to make it as affordable as possible, I don't begrudge any money I spend on my animals and will provide what they need but where there are other options I have to be realistic
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote