Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 29-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Fred123
Hatched

Default Thoughts welcome

We run a dog walking and pet care service and take care of a wide range of animals when their owners are away. In addition to this we have our own pets including tortoises. We have many years experience with both med and tropical species.

I know that many people struggle to find suitable carers for their tortoise when they are away and many have no choice but to resort to leaving them in a pet shop.

So my question is this. Do you think it is a good idea for us to advertise specifically for tortoise care or would this offend people? The tortoises would stay in their own home in their own enclosure and not have the stress of moving. We would simply visit, feed, water, bath, spot clean and check temps etc.

Do you think this would be a service that tortoise owners would be interested in, considering costs? The last thing we would want to do would be to offend anyone, so if anyone can see any potential problems i'm happy to hear them. Thanks
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
emma_mcraf
Adult

I think many people would be glad of a service like that. My concern however would be that if you publicly advertised a tort service it could gain the attention of the wrong sort of people who could find it an easy way of locating tortoises to steal. But then I'm a privacy/security worry pants anyway.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

I'm sure to some it would be a very useful service but for me and a lot of people I would be very concerned over who would be looking after my torts and to what their husbandry skills were like ie telling if a tortoise is ill.
I can't remember the last holiday I had that was over 3 nights I would rather stay home I know everything is fine then.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Fred123
Hatched

Thanks Emma, we would not be sharing any information and would still be running other pet services so security wouldn't be any more of a concern as we could be at a house feeding fish or changing cat litter.
Old 29-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Fred123
Hatched

Thanks Gordon I agree that people should be cautious, as they should with entrusting any pet with someone. That's why I thought a professional service where the owner can ask as many questions as needed was a good idea.
Old 29-10-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Im not sure it would offend people but I personally wouldn't approach a pet service for tortoises. Need to know basis as mentioned. I would recommend you obtain insurance also. cinnamon Trust cares for a lot of different animals on volunteer basis and I think most people would have a trusted volunteer weed picker and checker handy for hols, but good luck.
Old 29-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #7
Fred123
Hatched

Thanks CherryBrandy, we are an established company so already have insurance. Obviously if people have a volunteer then that is the best option, free is always better. this is for people without anyone willing to volunteer.
Old 29-10-2015, 11:11 PM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred123 View Post
Thanks CherryBrandy, we are an established company so already have insurance. Obviously if people have a volunteer then that is the best option, free is always better. this is for people without anyone willing to volunteer.
I've seen posts here before enquiring about such a service and have known some members to place their torts in exotic shops boarding services only to find the tort stressed on their return. There's a lot to be said for being able to keep your tort at home and checked on.
I personally don't have anyone I'd trust with our animals, not family or friend, and especially not with my torts, and as a result we do not go on holiday. Likewise my eldest boys wouldn't trust anyone with their amphibians and geckos. I'm happiest at home and I wouldn't choose to use a service like this because I'd still worry about my torts and other animals and wouldn't relax anyway, but I do believe some people would be grateful to have someone to go in and check, feed, bath and look after their torts as an alternative to putting them in boarding at an exotics shop.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

you also have to bear in mind that you would be giving the keys to your house to stranger, however you could offer to look after the tort if the owner brings its own housing etc. You couldn't use your own unless you were very strict on hygene and would also have to bear in mind that you can't put new torts on used grazing etc.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
tortydat
Sub Adult

I have a friend who uses a service such as yours for her cats and tortoises with great success and another friend who has run a tortoise boarding service for many years and this is very popular as well. Whilst tortoises form a very great part of my life I do go away at times as not all members of my family share my passion so I do entrust their care to others at times. Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote