Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 30-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Clearest
Egg

Default New to tortoises?

This is my tropical fish aquarium at the minute. I'm thinking about getting a small beginner tortoise as this is my first time, a russian/horsefield, greek, I've never had one before (had fish, snakes, stick insects but thats about it). As my aquarium isnt suitable for one at the minute because of the poor ventilation and how the tortoise can see outside and gets confused, right? My father gave me the idea of taking off the lid and then round the bottom put tape round it so the tortoise doesnt get confused? And also it is a 60 gallon (UK) tank and 50cm x 32cm and upwards is 35cm. Will this be okay or do I need to get a tortoise table/cage, tips?
Clearest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
alley cat
Adult

Hello and welcome

Your aquarium is really not suitable as the floor space is too small apart from the other issues which you have already identified yourself. Some people use indoor rabbit/guinea pig cages, the plastic base ones with a wire top for hatchling tortoises, these give plenty of ventilation and light and also allow you to use a good depth of top soil as a substrate. The UV light can then be attatched to the wire top which also has the added bonus of protecting the tortoise from other pets such as cats who may like your new pet as a crunchy cat treat
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

If price is an issue you can also use a deep bookcase, tipped on its back with a sheet of ply dropped in to strengthen base. Line this with plastic or pondliner. argos do them( i got one 2nf hand for a fiver!) look on e-bay, local paper, charity shops. the sides of mine are30cm high so i could attach a clamp lamp. There are also large plastic trays you can use but as your getting a russian its important to get something deep as they are a burrowing species who love to dig, so i dont know if you will find one big and derp enough but u could look, try ikea.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Clearest
Egg

I've done some more research overnight and oh god my tank is way to small it would suffocate the poor thing. So at the minute im going to be looking out for just a draw and then add a little hide out etc. I'm also thinking about getting a combine UV and heat lamp as it seems easier, does this effect anything having it combined? And thanks, il try a drawer/bookcase!
Clearest is offline   Reply With Quote