Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
Some folks dont like the heat mat system because if your tort has full contact with the mat they can burn themselves. Which is why I create a false bottom.
I did the same and used one for ages in the sleeping area, worked well.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #22
derrick0312
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
I did the same and used one for ages in the sleeping area, worked well.
Erm Prob a stupid question,..but do I stick the heat mat outside of my plastic base? or keep it inside and lay soil on it???
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #23
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=anita&page=4

When I had the heatmat in the tort table the above worked well. A thin piece of slate on top of the rubber. As heat rises it gave a nice warm area.
In the viv section I'm using now it was attached to the wall high up, now it's a bit colder I've found the heat wasn't getting down to the substrate level, but I was only using the tiny 4 inch heatmat - probably needed a bigger one. I already had the ceramic bulb... so decided to swap it over.
The viv section works ok I think as you are only trying to heat that small area for a warmer ambient. While it wouldn't be my choice to keep Marley in a viv all the time I'm quite happy that he can come and go as he pleases. He always sleeps in the viv under the slate. This morning I watched him, he woke up. Sat under the ceramic for about 20 minutes then wandered out onto the table had a bask under the main UVB then went off looking for his food
It's difficult if you are at work and the room is cold... you don't want to heat the whole room, but you have to make the table warm enough. There tends to be lot's of posts about heat/tables at this time of year.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
derrick0312
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Sayles View Post
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...t=anita&page=4

When I had the heatmat in the tort table the above worked well. A thin piece of slate on top of the rubber. As heat rises it gave a nice warm area.
In the viv section I'm using now it was attached to the wall high up, now it's a bit colder I've found the heat wasn't getting down to the substrate level, but I was only using the tiny 4 inch heatmat - probably needed a bigger one. I already had the ceramic bulb... so decided to swap it over.
The viv section works ok I think as you are only trying to heat that small area for a warmer ambient. While it wouldn't be my choice to keep Marley in a viv all the time I'm quite happy that he can come and go as he pleases. He always sleeps in the viv under the slate. This morning I watched him, he woke up. Sat under the ceramic for about 20 minutes then wandered out onto the table had a bask under the main UVB then went off looking for his food
It's difficult if you are at work and the room is cold... you don't want to heat the whole room, but you have to make the table warm enough. There tends to be lot's of posts about heat/tables at this time of year.
Wow!! you are quite a inventor!! Did you go with plan A or plan B in the end? I might have to do the same in my case. So you are going to leave this 'device' under soil?

I have ordered a habistat heat mat 20W (17in x 11in). Need to figure out how it works and how best to set it up asap1
Old 12-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Haha not really an inventor
I went with plan B in the end.
I kept that set up running for ages, just aim to get a nice warm area to the touch. You can use it 24/7 if you want because on a table as you are simply providing a warmer area. If your tortoise wants to use it fine, if it prefers a cooler are it will seek one out.
I used a 4 inch heatmat, because Marley was tiny.
The plastic container I used completely covered the mat - I cut it down so it was only a couple of cm's deep, with plastic holes drilled for airflow. I banked the substrate up and around into a little mound.
I gave the area a light spay with water every couple of days.
I like the idea of a warmer spot without the intensity of the UVB bulb...
Old 13-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #26
suttysue
Sub Adult

I always use heat mats but only in the winter months. As I said before just create a false bottom to thiere bedroom, it lets air circulate around the mat itself and yoour torts keep just snug sitting on the false floor as the heat rises. Go for it it a great way to keep them warm through the coldest of nights. Only cost not more that a fiver so its win win.
Sue
suttysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
yuna1971
Adult

Is the enclosure on the dark side?? I.e - any nooks or crannies where it's not getting much light? Is your hide an inbuilt one (with a lid) or is it a wooden Habba hut ??
I'm just wondering if light quality is an issue?? If she's not getting up then yes you may want to adjust the night time temps on the thermostat perhaps that your using with the CHE.
But enclosures can be on the dark/dim side with the darker mornings and poor natural light coming in. Sometimes the heat bulbs (being that they are lighting 1 area and are at the other end of the cool/sleeping area which is gonna be darker) aren't enough to stir them up from sleep and make that trek to the basking spot (to the lighter end).
Just a thought...xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 13-11-2012 at 05:13 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
derrick0312
Incubating

HI AGAIN! I finally got my heat mat and am going to install it tomorrow. Having a test-run now on the table, but this thing is so weak??? jsut giving out a very gentle heat?? is it normal?? or I got a faulty mat??

Would it be better if it's 'buried' in the substrate??
Old 18-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
Pussygalore
Adult

they don't give off a lot of heat but will warm the substrate after a period of time, if they got very hot there would be a high risk of burning. I used to just cover my hatchlings one with soil but then they never dug down, you don't want the tort actually sitting on the mat or clawing it so its better with something between the mat and the soil, a thin peice of plastic will do.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #30
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
they don't give off a lot of heat but will warm the substrate after a period of time, if they got very hot there would be a high risk of burning. I used to just cover my hatchlings one with soil but then they never dug down, you don't want the tort actually sitting on the mat or clawing it so its better with something between the mat and the soil, a thin peice of plastic will do.
Agreed, use some sort of barrier.