Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
HenryV111
Egg

Default Do I need to worry

Got the Mrs a Hermanni from our local garden centre at the weekend She is 5 years old, approx 12cm and chipped.

Questions:
1: Would she have come into this country at that age?

2: I was reading a bit about Slovenia and herpes.

The country of origin on our paperwork is Macedonia, do I need to worry? or has there been any reports about tortoises carrying the herps from Macedonia.
HenryV111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
FinnGB
Hatchling

Hey Henry,

firstly congrats on your new tortoise!

I not sure if there are size/age restrictions on Hermanns so cant help there.

Two of my Hermanns are imported from Slovenia and Macedonia. Personally I would not worry. i don't think there are many(if any) reported cases of herpes that humans have got from their tortoises. There's a lot of people here on SWs who have imported tortoises, and i'm yet to hear of any problems with herpes.

Be sure to wash your hands with hand sanitizer to help eliminate some of the germs

Rick

Last edited by FinnGB; 11-11-2010 at 10:33 AM.
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Loads of people on here will have torts from Macedonia and Slovenia, I haven't come across any that have it. It can be dormant for years and is much like shingles in humans (it is also a herpes virus) which can appear when your immune system is really low. Reading things like that is like reading about bird flu or the flesh eating bug, more panic than need be.. type of thing. If the tort is kept healthy then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm not sure that Macedonia and Slovenia farms will be much different to each other but I don't know really.

BTW, it's possible that it was brought in at 5 year old but usually they are shipped out at one or 2 years old I think, not a lot of profit in keeping them for 5 years before selling

Last edited by Alan1; 11-11-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Torterra
Sub Adult

Congrats on your new Tortoise. Can you post some pictures of it? As long as it comes with all the paperwork and already 5 years old it should be fine, but you will need to see vet for routine checkups once a year.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
HenryV111
Egg

Thanks for the reply good people.

I now have two they have paperwork with them and came from local garden centre who purchased them sometime from prestopets so she told me yesterday when I went back for the other one.

Just put some goodies in the cage for them along with a plantpot I cut modified and they are so lively and curious.

Henry
Old 12-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

Regarding the housing there Henry, it is very nice. If I may add my two pence here, purely suggestion and advice, of which you dont have to take. Its up to you.

Firstly, its a pretty enclosure...but is it maybe a little on the small side for x2 5yr old torts?? What substrate you are using? Is that sterilised top soil...or some sort of sand ??
The positioning of the lamps looks ok, so long as your temps are reading good.

Are they both from the same 'family'?? As in the same breeder...?? If not...are you sure they should be put in together first off. Hope you dont mind me asking...

Sorry if I missed something else...is it a male and female you have together?? The male might pester the female in due time...so this might be something to think about. See what else others say on this....not sure, if its the right thing to do to put them both in together from the off...unless same batch, 'tortoise family history', breeder etc. But..........I could be off mark here. xx

Hope you dont mind me mentioning these bits and pieces. It might be things you havent thought about, or I could be going over ground that you already know. xxx
Good luck ...Im sure you will do the best for them and be very successful.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 12-11-2010 at 05:06 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

They are both in together now Rach, I remember Ed saying once that if they have been together no point keeping them separate after that really. They would be together in the shop most likely anyway
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
HenryV111
Egg

Thanks for your concerns yuna1971,

The housing is temporal as I have only had them a couple of days and the second one came rather quick yesterday as I did not want to miss her.

The soil was bought with them 10 litre bag propet stuff not to sure of the mix I threw the bag. Will be putting pure soil under them next.

Very much doubt if they are related they have been imported from Macedonia sometime back.

They are both female.

They have been together for at least 4 months so the garden centre said and were when I first saw them.

Henry
Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Shells look realy smooth not bumpy have you any close up's of the tort's, how much did you pay for the five year old's, if you don't mind.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
yuna1971
Adult

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryV111 View Post
Thanks for your concerns yuna1971,

The housing is temporal as I have only had them a couple of days and the second one came rather quick yesterday as I did not want to miss her.

The soil was bought with them 10 litre bag propet stuff not to sure of the mix I threw the bag. Will be putting pure soil under them next.

Very much doubt if they are related they have been imported from Macedonia sometime back.

They are both female.

They have been together for at least 4 months so the garden centre said and were when I first saw them.

Henry
Henry, my apologies. Your set up and everything sounds ok. In due time - expansion! xx Good stuff.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote