Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 31-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Steph37
Hatched

Default Any idea on HF ages?

I have 4 through R&C have had them for 6 months but dont think I should put them with the others cos of the size difference. They have been seen by 2 experts, one has said 18 months to 2 years, the other said 3years. They only just fall on the MacIntyre ratio and are fine in terms of weight to length but I would love to know how old they are-thinking they could be as old as 4 and as young as 2 is interesting. I have a feeling that the biggest one is male which i know woldnt usually make sense but as they have come via R an C I guess that they could have come from different places and be different ages which would explain why the biggest one is male-he could be much older for all I know. they range from 70-85mm and weigh from 94-117gm (they have grown only a few mm since I had them in July but their weights then were 68-80gm) Was going to hibernate them as all seemed healthy but they werent well enough adjusted and lost loads of weight very quickly so have had them inside but have not had the difficulties keeping them awake that some people have mentioned.They are not so lively but are still eating like mad! I now need to change the spotlights to a lower wattage I guess til they are able to eat at a lower temprature outside as I've had it at 92 at hot end and 70 at the cool end. Steph
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
mcsmichelles
Hatchling

hello, i have a tort who is 70mm and weighs 76g she is only about 20mths old.

Any tort that young prob wouldnt make it through Hibernation, a tort has to weigh enough to go into hibernation other wise it could be fatal.

Although my tort is not a horsefield, its a hermanns so it could be alot different.

I was told not to hibernate mine for the first 5 years.?
mcsmichelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
gruffalo
Egg

That is interesting, I guess with seizures there are so many different variables it would be hard to say. Out of interest do they tell you much about which country they were brought in from and how they travelled? Based on my younger herman's weight I would have thought that the lower age estimate was closer but if they were wild caught then they would probably have been eating less and growing at a slower rate so the other estimate could be right!

mcsmichelles the idea that tortoises shouldn't be hibernated under 5 years of age seems to be given to new owners quite often but you will find many keepers on here who hibernate their youngsters, after all they would hibernate in the wild if the conditions were appropriate.
gruffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Steph, all I can say is that torts can grow at different rates and as long as they re eating well and are active I wouldn't worry. When you put them outside they will find a sunny spot and bask till their core temperature is up enough to get them eating. The sunnier the day, and to a degree the warmer it is the more active they will be.

Saying that, when it is really hot (or should I say if it ever gets that warm) they may well ding cooler places to go.

As far as hibernation goes I think you'll find that many keepers even hibernate small hatchlings of under a year old as long as they are of a decent weight for their size, this is what they'd have to do in the wild

I hibernated a 2 year old Ibera this past winter and he was absolutely fine
Old 11-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
Steph37
Hatched

Thanks. No comparison with Hermanns though-I have them too-different ratio scale. If they'd been british bred & I knew their history I would have hibernated them-I would do this for a couple of weeks with a 'old' hatchling.
I was measuring & when I'd had them exactly 9 months they'd all put on 30-40gm. But again, that would be perfect for a Hermanns but I dont know with a Horsfield! All I know is that I took 4 because I was told they weren't likely to pull through but we're gussing they were 'legitimately' ordered but extra added as this is quite common. They all seem healthy, although one has completely different markings from the others and is very different in personality! Assuming they were 18 months when I had them that would make them 2 1/2-3 years which seems about right. They are now outside with one 'viv'd male who seems to treat them as just rocks to climb on. I've managed to make them a 'tortoise flap' in the run they had last year in case it all gets too much. Also cos the others are more than twice the size, I feed them seperately as I fear for them being 'pecked' by mistake!
Steph37 is offline   Reply With Quote