Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 24-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Reptiking94
Egg

Default Which Tortoise is Best for Me

Hi, Im looking for a expierenced opinion on which tortoise is best for me under the following conditions, the Star Tortoise or the Cherry Headed Red Foot Tortoise. Here are my conditions, Im 15, I live in the midwest so probaly no outdoor enclosures for a while, cant grow to big, I have wide access to various plants (live near a plant nursery) and reptile products (live near a nice place called Chicago Reptile House), and cant be to difficult to build a enclosure for. By the way dont let my age fool you, just because Im 15 dosent mean I cant take care of a "hard-to-take-care-of" tortoise, Ive researched the Red Foot ALOT and am currently doing research on the Star, Im just wondering which one would best suit me, thanks in advance, Reptiking.
Reptiking94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Lou
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Lou

i keep reds, and i know they love their outside space.... they can also grow up to 30... in some cases 60 cms in legnth...so maybe not best if space is an issue...

I don't know anything about stars, but i'm of the understanding it would rarely be suitable for them outside in this country...

Horsfield: 1.0.2 Walter / Izzy / Tilly
Redfoot : 1.3.0 Ruby / Scarlet / Merlot / Ginger
Goldfish : 0:0:1 Splodge
Bearded Dragon : 0:1:0 Zuki
Springer Spaniel : 1:0:0 Bailey
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hello
I keep both reds and stars

Stars are lovely- they need high heat about 20-25c cool and 30-35c warm with good UVB source. Now if you plan on just keeping these you can create a good table enclosure but a vivarium might be better to keep the heat in. I don't recommend vivariums for other species like hermanns, iberas but as i said with stars they need the high heat.
If you go for a vivarium make sure its not small but a good size where there is a cool end and warm end not just all one heat, also a good fan for ventilation.

Reds- yes they get large but if you get one from a baby will take years to grow to adult size. Vivariums are ok for these also.

reds have a great diet they can eat fruit on average 70% green 30% fruit

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Reptiking94
Egg

Well thats what I was thinking, by the time a red foot is big my parents will be older so I doubt they will care if I make a enclosure in back so techinacaly housing isnt a issue I guess.
Old 24-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Reptiking94
Egg

I know, by the time my cherry head (if I get one) is a adult I think my parents would be cool if I built a outdoor shed just for the tortoise and have a heater in there for the winter and everything.
Old 24-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptiking94 View Post
I know, by the time my cherry head (if I get one) is a adult I think my parents would be cool if I built a outdoor shed just for the tortoise and have a heater in there for the winter and everything.
Especially if you offer to do their gardening for them!
Old 24-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Reptiking94
Egg

Lol I know, by the time the thing is big they will be in their 50's so they will probaly be convinced that I will do yard work if they let me build a pen lol, and just a side not sorry for double posting I didnt know each comment had to be approved so when I checked my post it wasnt there I posted it again, sorry.
Old 25-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
daveg
Incubating

Just do what I did.....

Build it while there away and let them return to a surprise new garden addition~!!!
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
baybay
Incubating

Well I believe the cherry headed red-footed tortoise has the same exact husbandry as the red-foot, though it is the dwarf version. I have one, full grown, and im using an extra large guinea pig run, which offers plenty of space.

R.I.P Stewie you will be missed
baybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
Reptiking94
Egg

Thanks for the advice Baybay, I was trying to find rubbermaid tubs but couldnt find any large enough, Ill look up guinea pig run ASAP lol